Why native notifications are so unreliable compared to Pushover?

I have a constant issue with notifications that are not being sent/received.

We both have Android phones, both having the Hubitat app and the Pushover app.

I have a contact sensor installed in my mailbox to notify us when the mailbox is opened/mail delivered.

I setup two text notifications to our Android phones:

1. Native built-in notification.
  2. Notification using Pushover.

The two notifications are the same except that the built-in is sending the notifications directly to our two phones and the other one is send the notification via Pushover

The Pushover notification works every single time, no exceptions.
The native one sometimes works and sometimes it does not.

I am trying to understand what may cause this problem. Is the native notification inherently unreliable or is there another issue that may affect notification delivery.

My Hubitat App notifications are always arriving on my Android smartphones.

Just a quick shot from the hip:
What are your energy saving settings? Do you allow the execution of the Hubitat App in the background?

6 Likes

I did set the battery usage to unrestricted and turned off "Pause app activity if unused". This is in Android 13. I am not sure there is another setting that I may have missed.

The notification worked this morning on both phones so maybe it was a temporary glitch? I'll keep checking in the next few days to see if I get another missed alert.

No, IMHO that already sounds good. :+1:

I'll keep my fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

Ug my Note 20 Ultra will soon force Android 13 on me. Thanks Samdung that I have ZERO options. I could have sworn I OWN the device, not Samdung

1 Like

Android 13 is great. I love it on my Pixel 7 pro. I am sure you'll love it as well.

Me hopes so. But I'm come to hate being the first one out of the gate, let the bugs get worked out and I'll come in after. Now unless it's an HE beta, that's fun, since I have 5 hubs

Off topic, but what's the advantage of having more than one hub?

Not everyone needs >1, in fact most have only 1 hub. I like to separate my loads. Another reason is upgrading C4->C5->C7.
C4- dedicated to water monitoring and old slow Z-wave non-plus devices
C5- development and testing of apps/drivers and wacky LAN inetgrations
C7-Main hub all Z-wave+ and zigbee
C7- Mirror of the other, not in active use. It's so I can restore to IF my main C7 dies
C4- Never even started it, kept as a backup to my running C4

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.