Why is my thermostat scheduler not working?

There doesn't actually seem to be a way to do this... The "only when not disabled by a switch" dropdown only contains switches and I see no remove restrictions button or anything like that.

Just remove the switch.

I decided the best thing would be to just make a new instance of Thermostat Scheduler for testing. So after creating it, I

1. Selected the thermostat
  2. Deleted the bottom 2 time periods.
  3. Entered a time and heating setpoint for the 2 remaining time periods.
  4. Hit done.

The times came and went and nothing changed, nothing was logged. So then I created another new Thermostat Scheduler instance. I set it to schedule using hub modes. This is even more simple to setup. I entered in a heating setpoint for day and for evening and clicked Done. Then I went and toggled the hub mode back and forth several times. Same thing; nothing changed and nothing was logged.

In both instances, afterwards I changed the thermostat to the virtual thermostat I had created and it started logging changes. Then I decided to remove the whole Thermostat Scheduler app and re-add it. That's when I noticed this.

Shouldn't it be version 2.0?

EDIT: Actually I think it is version 2.0

Reinstalling made no difference.

No, that is the version of the parent app, Thermostat Schedulers. Current version of Thermostat Scheduler is 2.0.2.

I don't know what is going on with your system. You sent me the app, and it worked as expected, but then I used a virtual thermostat. I may have already asked this, but what is the thermostat you are trying to use? What driver does it use? Is this the Rheem Integration? If you instance works with a virtual thermostat and not that, then what would you conclude?

Yes, it's the community Rheem integration. So it uses that driver.

If you instance works with a virtual thermostat and not that, then what would you conclude?

This:

Just to see what would happen, I removed everything. The device, the thermostat scheduler, the Rheem app. Then I went into HPM and installed the older, non-maintained Rheem app/driver. It exhibits the exact same behavior. This is the version that used to work for me, but I was using Thermostat Scheduler 1.0.

I don't see a way to create a new 1.0 instance for Thermostat Scheduler... is it possible for someone to export one and send it to me? I would really like to see what happens if I try using it again.

Since the schedule is pretty simple, I was able to easily just replicate it in RM. I used the vacation switch as a required expression.

This seems to be working fine so far.

1 Like

I actually tweaked it more and split it into 2 rules.

Normal Schedule:

High heat period:

This way, being on vacation won't prevent the water heater from heating up once a week. I also changed the schedule to be between 2 times so that the rule actions could be called from another rule. So now my "return from vacation" rule can just run this rule's actions to get it back on schedule.