Why double notifications?

I use a Schlage Lock ( Zigbee BW468GBAK ). But I had notifications from the double, triple events ... with difference devices : lock, switch ( Hue bulbs ) ... I try both Notifications ( Built-In App ) and RM, same issue.

I have one of those locks and can check when I get home. If you haven't clicked "Configure" on the device page, it can't hurt, especially if you changed the driver yourself. But yeah, you'll get double notifications for double events unless you do something in your rule or app to prevent that (a local variable would be my recommendation for RM; the option in Notifications to only notify once every so many minutes max might also work).

I haven't seen this with Hue bulbs. I'm not using the stock integration anymore (I wrote my own), but I didn't notice it in the past. Lots of people have noticed it with some Z-Wave devices like motion and contact sensors that report events in two ways and the hub parses and reports both. Some (most? all?) of that particular problem has been fixed with an option in the driver.

I have 2 Schlage Zigbee locks and I have the same problem. As I recall it appears to me the locks are sending the double and triple events. It would be nice if we could add some logic to the notifications to ignore the same event if it happens within a second or two. I've just become used to hearing my phone chime four or five times when someone unlocks and relocks the front door. Yeah, it's a bit obnoxious.

You can. :slight_smile: That's what the "Only once within this number of minutes" setting does in the app: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=File:Notification_frequency.png

1 Like

Interesting. You taught me something, but still getting double notifications. First, I've been using the rule machine to notify me about locks and unlocks. I hadn't used the Notifications app. So that's super cool. Second, I still think this goes back to the lock producing 2 events. I'm getting the notifications via Pushover and the first says Lock Name was locked. The second says Lock Name was locked by manual. I used %device% %text% as the Custom message to send. So it seems like I need a way to filter out one of the two unlock and lock messages.

Yeah, by all means, the device should probably not send double events. If you haven't clicked "Configure" on the device page, especially if you changed the driver yourself), that may help, especially for a Zigbee device where it configures how/what the device reports to the hub. I should remember to check my lock when I get home (I'm assuming you mean the BE468GBAK, the only Zigbee Schlage Connect). If it's happening with a lot of different devices, I wonder if you're having some sort of hub problem. I wouldn't reach that conclusion quite yet, but a soft restore is generally pretty painless and might be a good first step if you do. It sounds like your lock might just be sending two events, a "plain" unlocked event and another at the same but with a type of "manual" specified (this is the "physical" vs. "digital" difference, so thumbturn vs. keypad in the case of a lock) and the driver might just want to suppress the "plain" one, assuming it consistently reports both.

Back to the notifications: I'm not sure how the Notifications app implements this suppression behind the scenes. It's possible you may be able to make Rule Machine do a better job yourself in a manner similar to those for contact sensor suggested above. This is a second-best option, in my opinion (best would be the driver level, but we can't control that directly).

Thanks. I'll dig a bit deeper as I have time. I think I've seen others mention this same issue with the Zigbee Schlages. It's the only device I have this issue with and I can definitely see in the logs the two events per lock and unlock coming from the 2 locks I own. Honestly, with the issues I used to have with the ZWave version of the Schlages, this is just a minor annoyance. They are rock solid otherwise.

What the driver on your Zigbee Schlage Lock ?

I use the Generic Zigbee Lock. I tried the Schlage BE468 driver, but it didn't work for me. I believe it is built for the ZWave version of the lock.

I use Generic Zigbee Lock.

Just checked my own lock and I'm also getting duplicate events. I'm tagging @mike.maxwell under the assumption that he might have written this driver (or at least knows who did) to see if there is anything that can be done.

To summarize, this is the Zigbee Schlage Connect (BE468GBAK) with the Generic Zigbee Lock driver. When manually locking or unlocking, the lock, it logs both "...was locked by manual" and "...was locked" events. Here's a manual unlock followed by a manual lock to show what happens:

Double events also happen with the keypad:

Interestingly, this lock also might be an exception to the "locks don't send anything when a bad code is entered" rule, as by accident I discovered that it sent this when I entered a wrong code. which I then did a couple more times just to make sure:

I understand it's not officially listed as compatible, but everything appears to work, and there is just this oddity with immediately-repeated duplicate-ish events/reports from the lock for both physical and digital locks and unlocks. If this is enough info to help the Generic Zigbee Lock driver get better tuned for this lock, I hope it's helpful! Otherwise, for anyone else reading this, it does (unofficially) work in my experience.

that's helpfull, I should be able to prevent the double logging with the data you provided.
Can you post the model as listed in the device data for this lock?

Exactly what I am seeing.

Great news!

The "Data" section says:

• model: BE468

And in case you're curious, here's the getInfo output from the Device driver:

fingerprint profileId:"0104", endpointId:"01", inClusters:"0000,0001,0003,0009,0020,0101,0B05,FC00", outClusters:"000A,0019", model:"BE468", manufacturer:"Schlage"

My lock data :

Zigbee%20Lock

With the lastest firmware 2.1.9.115 , my Schlage zigbee lock BE468GBAK still have duplicate events !

It appears this problem is still there after one year :grinning:. I am running 2.2.5.131 on C7. My lock is Kwikset SmartCode 914 Deadbolt. I use Generic ZigBee lock driver. I set "Only once within this number of minutes" to 5. But it doesn't make any difference.

|dev:17 2021-02-09 01:55:48.292 pm info|Lock garage door was locked|
|dev:17 2021-02-09 01:55:48.292 pm info|Lock garage door was locked by manual|
|dev:17 2021-02-09 01:55:40.661 pm info|Lock garage door was unlocked by manual|
|dev:17 2021-02-09 01:55:40.660 pm info|Lock garage door was unlocked|

I am also getting multiple events and notification from my new Zigbee Connects running C5 on 2.2.5.131 using the generic zigbee lock driver.

I was getting duplicate notifications with my new Ecolink tilt sensor attached to my garage door. I went to the configuration page for the sensor and saw that there is a โ€œSuppress duplicate contact events?โ€ setting. Turning this setting on cleared up the problem.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, that option was added to those specific built-in drivers by the Hubitat staff. And that the events are fired so fast the only way to intercept them is at the driver level. (My lock is sending up to 4 events in less than 100ms.)

It doesn't appear that the Generic Zigbee Lock built-in driver has been modified to resolve it yet.