Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

Ethernet $20. Bob's your uncle! https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-External-Antennas-TL-WA855RE/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=psdc_3015439011_t2_B00L0YLRUW

1 Like

:rofl: I know the feeling dude

your comment is valid for a lot of things.
Same for food, healthy food or not, organic food or not.
You're not obliged to buy.

You're not obliged to eat a lot of sugar with your drinks. Good tap water is almost free. You're not obliged to eat pizza and processed food. You buy flour and vegetables and do your own food. We're living in countries with a lot of ressources.

You're not obliged to have a big house and buy a new cell phone every year. You can drive and repair your rusty car to lower your expenses.
Globally, you're free to follow your way to live.

1 Like

you made me hungry for pizza now...

5 Likes

You haven't seen my water bill.

Try living in an arid climate with limited water resources and water district sourced water.

1 Like

How did you know that my uncle is named Bob? Amazing!

Seriously though, do you guys have any idea if WiFi may be in the future roadmap for the HE platform? ST went this route for their latest version and Wink had it from day one (Wink 2 was even dual band 2.4/5MHz). Having to add a repeater as a workaround for this product seems to contradict earlier posts on adding a point of failure/latency, not to mention always-on power consumption to drive an Ethernet and unused WiFi boost.

Why can't you plug it into your router/modem?

Highly unlikely.

I doubt it .. It's never been a good idea for a hub with a zigbee radio as wifi is in the same band

2 Likes

:scream:

$69.95, ordered from Amazon on August 27, 2019

That works. It got mine to the center of the house and away from the router.

Whoa!.. so much that...

Arizona?.... I moved from Scottsdale, AZ. to the banks of the Columbia River outside Portland, OR. and my water bill, without a lawn, is twice that of my AZ. home while each second enough water to supply a house of 4 for a year passes behind my home. :scream: I need an irrigation pump app for HE to tap the river on demand instead, though it turns out that would get me jailed. Go figure.

You have your reboots rationed? :rofl: One a day, automatic in the middle of the night will solve the problem for just about everyone that's having it until a solution is found.

As for the rest of this thread, I got about half-way through and then realized I was bored with it and my life's ticking away. Bottom line, you either pay what is still below the actual list price, and this very small company stays in business against companies with money to burn like Samsung, without ever considering a jerk move like WinkIam pulled out of their arse with little thought and planning, or you whine and then probably buy it anyway.

You can buy another cloud based hub, but they're subsidizing the cost of the hub and operations with your personal data. If you don't care about that, then maybe that's the hub for you. But you've been shown in this thread how unreliable they can be too. Good luck!

I'm happy as can be. Is Hubitat perfect? No, but it serves every Home Automation need and want I have so far. Just keeps getting better. No fees, no hidden costs. I don't buy HA stuff because it's on sale or not. If I want it and I can justify it to myself, I buy it.

Wink is dead. Long live Hubitat!

5 Likes

ok, you're right in your case and others can be right in theirs.
my comment was about general obligation, not about your specific situation.

So, if you're obliged to have a brand new car and/or an updated cellphone for your work, or If you have a lot of children and need a big house, my comment is indeed not relevant.

CO.

We sell much of our water to surrounding states and CA.

:rage:

1 Like

Agreed … let's not forget that the Wink Hub 1 (which had no ethernet), could NOT be placed anywhere near your router. It would cause the device to constantly go off line. The Wink Hub 2 resolved that, but RF interference is quite tricky to manage. For me Ethernet only on the HE works well.

5 Likes

Was doing that, as are many others. I was suffering all sorts of errors and database corruptions for a while. I worked through a long set of actions (documented elsewhere) to try to resolve the issues and ended up removing the daily reboots on advice that they also can create database issues. My hub is now stable but performance - particularly on motion lights - can be extremely poor at times. I may purchase another hub (in a future sale) just to run the routines I want to be more quick, or will wait for an improved product (C7?) with enough power to run my modest setup properly.

Doesn't your point make a case for keeping the Zigbee radio away from the wifi router, which will have the strongest signal? Additionally, there are other platforms like Arlo that are Ethernet-only due to the high bandwidth demand. In those setups (as is in my case), you'd have two strong wifi routers close by emitting. Now HE expects to be ethernet as well.

Transmitting Zigbee and has never been an issue for me for Wink Gen1 as it was by itself far away from a wifi router. With its overall power consumption, I don't think it was transmitting wifi itself anything of significance as to the main wifi router... There was a reason why ST went with both Ethernet AND Wi-Fi w/ their version 3...