Why did I change thermostats?

Right now, I am running with the Generic Zigbee Thermostat driver. Most of the time it appears to be working reliably. The one exception is that after a reboot, it does not catch the schedule change and I have to go into the Thermostat Scheduler and click in the schedule and hit done. Then it seems to pick up. On a rare occasion, mostly associated with a major update, I have had to manually change the temperature. Then it seems to get back in sync and work properly.

I'm running the Zen and I see similar 'bouncing' issues, and generally less responsive than it should be. Reboots, etc don't help. I wrote my own RM4.0 rule with a triple repeat setting to work around this. It works 75% of the time which is way the hell better than like 25% it used to.

Rumor has it there's a ported ST Zen driver floating around, but I haven't found it yet. It is alleged that this driver works 100% splendidly.

I ported the driver that I mentioned in the other thread. It’s taken from the SmartThings public github with a few syntax changes to make it work in HE. When I get home I’ll send it to you via a PM.

You're the best :slight_smile:
Man I need to learn how to port. Although with all my issues currently, might not be a good time to tinker toooo heavily, haha

What thread was that?

Sorry, got confused. I was replying to another Steven in the other three and thought it was you!

Can I get that driver as well? Looking to pick up a ZEN for my new build next month.

I recommend using the default driver with your Zen for a while to see how you get on. If you have problems, let me know and I'll send you mine.

It has been a while since I updated my experiences with the Zen. First off, it is working well. I am still using the generic driver. Most of the time, it works and follows the schedule. Rarely, it does not. For that, I set up a Rule Machine 4 rule to check the setpoint 2 minutes after the scheduled change is supposed to occur. If the setpoints did not change, it changes them. If they did, it does nothing. This appears to be working well. If the mode is away, it also does nothing. Below is a picture of the actions for my morning check. I have a separate rule for the evening check that is similar. Most of the time, I do not see it run but I have seen in my logs that it has run at least once.

By generic are you referring to the "Generic Zigbee Thermostat" or native "Zen Thermostat" driver? I'm having a Zen delivered today should be installing in a few weeks.

1 Like

So you know how I said my ported driver worked very reliably?
I just got a single Ikea zigbee repeater installed about 10 days ago. The Zen appears to be routing via it now.

I’ve had two set point failures (event shows it changed, then 30 seconds later shows it back at the original value) in the last week. Could be coincidence, but it’s interesting.

@pjam73 My theory has been that when the thermostat is routed, it is less reliable than when it is connecting directly to the HE.

@waynespringer79 I am referring to the "Generic Zigbee Thermostat" driver.

I found that my rules to check the thermostat really didn't work with Away mode, but set the temperature even though I thought I had written it to do nothing if the mode was Away. I have different rule I made that takes the place of them and also takes the place of the Thermostat Scheduler, which has now been deleted (since I could not find a way to pause it).

This one appears to be working well. It is switching the thermostat settings and is working for away mode also.

Hey Wayne, thinking of ditching my ecobee and getting a Zen. Are you having success with your Zen?

TIA

I'm happy with it, it doesn't have any fancy web interface to monitor it like ecobee has, but I really don't need that anyway. I'm even more happy knowing I won't ever have to make big adjustments because of ecobee's servers being down every other week. The Zen responds almost instantly to Dashboard / Rule Machine commands so it's good in my book.

3 Likes

My Zen thermostat has been behaving very well for the past several months. However, today I noticed that it was getting rather warm in the house. Apparently, the Zen thermostat had a glitch where it stopped working. I was able to cool the house some by manually adjusting the temperature, but that was temporary. I had been working on my computer, so I wasn't able to check in until a few minutes ago (around 10:45 p.m.). I decided that maybe I needed to reboot the hubs, so I did so. That is when it got even weirder. When the hubs came back up, the Zen thermostat tile was reading that the current temperature was somewhere around -511 (I don't recall the exact number). I tried changing the driver to the Generic Zigbee Thermostat driver, but it did not make any difference. I then thought about pulling the thermostat off the wall, removing the batteries and waiting a few seconds, then reinstalling the batteries and putting it back on the wall. Then I refreshed the driver and the numbers for the current temperature reverted to something more reasonable (76.5F). Last, I changed the driver back to the Zen Thermostat driver, then configured and refreshed. It seems to be working properly now. The mode just changed to night and the AC kicked in as scheduled for the night temperature change.

I have no idea why all of a sudden the thermostat glitch like this so I can't say it won't happen again. Hopefully, it was a one-time glitch.

That’s pretty cold :crazy_face:

1 Like

I've seen the zen do this on an Xfinity system and power cycle cleared it, however it did come back a month or so later at which point the thermostat was just swapped for a new one.

Apparently, it has not taken as long for the problem to pop up again. This morning, it did not change on schedule. I have a rule that is supposed to run and check periodically and set it if that happens, but that also did not take place. I again rebooted the thermostat and ran my rule again. It finally took.

Enough is enough. I just ordered a Centralite Pearl thermostat. I'm not sure if it will be any better, but the current situation is not satisfactory.

The new Centralite Pearl thermostat arrived a couple of days ago. I did not install it immediately as I wanted to see if the Zen was going to work properly. Today, it appears to have totally failed. I installed the Pearl this afternoon. I did not immediately see the Zigbee connection information, so I thought I had goofed. I looked a little closer and saw how to initiate the network join. Then it was simple to finish getting it connected.

We'll see how well the Pearl behaves.