Whole Home Audio

Then I wouldn't expect Hubitat to be able to interface with it at all. If it's not going to allow a system like Control4 to control it, what chance does Hubitat have of connecting to it?

sounds like a question for OP to ask HTD. If that serial port is usable by anything besides their own gateway, then the sky's the limit, if time/effort is no object but cost is.

And the OP has a knowledge of RS-232 interfaces and the hardware to develop one.

If you are an ios based family (may even just work if you want to control it from a single tablet like an ipad) I built mine around airplay 2. If you are android (or something else) this is probably not worth it then.

I went the whole airplay 2 route using a few sonos speakers (sonos one and a couple of the ikea speakers). I also have a few apple airport express 2nd gen's that also support airplay 2.

It works pretty easy. Whatever I'm listening to on my phone, I just airplay it to all the rooms I want it to play in. If my girlfriend wants to listen to something in the bedroom while I'm listening to something outside we can do that too easily.

It works fairly well.

The only issue I have with it is audio sync. If I play on all the sonos devices they are great at keeping all in sync and it sounds nice through the house. If I mix them with sonos and airport expresses it eventually gets out of sync. But I don't really mix them often.

In terms of cost (all in CAD), I got the airports for $30 each used off of kijiji. The ikea's I got for $125 each when they were on sale, and the sonos one I got from Amazon at $120 on some crazy deal.

If you want to centrally control it, you can get an ipad and set it up with your services and control it all from there. But we just find it easy to use our phone as we listen to a lot of podcasts and its nice to continue where you left off in the car etc.

My integration with HE is very basic. I don't see a need to really do much with them. All I do is have an automation that resets the volumes on them after we are done playing. That way it never starts off too loud when we start playing something.

I just did a quick cross-reference with systems I deal with and HTD is not on the lists for Allonis or CQC which means

1. Nobody has ever asked for it... or
  2. It's not possible to fully integrate

As recommended the Op needs to go ask HTD about integration options and go from there. The far easier method is to look at the home automation systems driver list and choose a Home Audio system that's already on the list.

3 Likes

I have no knowledge of HTD, Monoprice, or Dayton audio.

I'd like to give an example of a DIY system that is extremely cheap, flexible, and integrates well with Hubitat.

I'm using Logitech Media Player (ie., Squeezbox) -- not the Logitech-branded hardware-based line of network music players, but the software fork. In my case, I'm running a squeezebox server on an old laptop, and I've got 5 players -- mostly Raspberry PIs ($35) running the Max2Play distribution ($5) and connected to a variety of self-powered speakers ($25~$???, older soundbars are a good choice and easy to find used).

The system can be controlled via any web browser on my home network, or from dedicated Adroid/IOS apps. In keeping with the spirit of HE, it can be entirely local -- no Internet access is required if you've got a local content library (ie., ripped CDs).

Any combination of outputs (rooms, floors, etc) can be grouped, and content can be synchronized across devices, or each can play it's own content. Volume can be set on each device.

In addition, there's good integration between HE and Squeezebox, allowing HE to serve as a single point of control for the audio players.

The Squeezebox players can be used as voice or music outputs by HE to play audio alerts.

Well, the system I described does take some tweaking, but not programming. There are packaged solutions (ie., pre-installed Max2Play distribution, pre-configured hardware with aftermarket digital-to-analog converters, etc) that make it easier, at a low cost.

It's an option to consider, especially since the cost to try it is so low, there's little loss if it isn't what you want.

I appreciate the input. I'm going to ask HTD about their RS232 port and see what they say.

We have about 50 wired speakers installed around the house, backyard, and pool across 14 zones so wireless is not going to be an option that I chase.

I know there are a couple of apps out there to control the Monoprice and dayton audio equipment through the rs232 port.

I would rather stay away from the crestron / control4 route since I want to be able to play with the system myself and use it as a learning tool. If there is anybody here that knows how to write the script for this type of equipment I would love to hear what you have to say.

I understand staying away from the C4/Crestron route as they are nice, expensive and locked down. Not much fun.

If you want a DIY approach that is going to provide good results I already listed them. Hubitat is a hub that does not have serial ports and does not have active aka usable USB ports. There is no way for you to do a direct programming to access a device with RS232. You will then have to go with a RS232 -> IP method and that's another device in the middle that you have to verify has a interface that you can program against from the limitation of the Hubitat environment.

What you are wanting is more than possible. You're just wanting to try and do it with the wrong tool.

So there will need to be something like a raspberry pi in between the HE and the RS232 port the the Lync controller assuming the lync controller supports external control.

Is there someone here on the forum that would want to undertake writing the interface?

You would need something that connects to the serial port if it's an actual old school DB9 interface and then can translate that to IP and rPi don't have serial ports so you will need a serial to IP converter/interface that would then communicate to either an rPi or direct to the HE.

Correct someone would have to write a driver/app combo to speak to this. I doubt you're going to find someone who is going to do this at all for Hubitat and definitely not for free as this is not "simple".

why are you trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Just saw that they use this

https://www.htd.com/GW-SL1

To connect the controller to your network. HTD has the lync app through the android or Iphone store for external control.

FYI I've requested info to see if the lync controller will accept external codes.

From the page all that gets you is mobile app control...

Are you looking for a integrated home audio solution or looking for a remote control?

not trying to force a square peg, just not familiar with the system so I don't understand the possibilities and difficulties yet.

The main thing is I would like to find a whole home audio solution that uses my speakers already installed. If there is a solution that works with hubitat I'm not married to the HTD system.

FYI I am willing to pay someone to write the interface I don't have an issue with that.

I'm looking for an integrated home audio solution

There is nothing that works with Hubitat. End of story.

There are DIY partial integrations and examples that others have provided and how they do it with things like rPi's and Google Mini's or Amazon Echo's etc etc... there's a lot of DIY hacks to get a cheap home audio setup.

The mid price range is Sonos and then that's new speakers and the Hubitat integration is basic at best.

Hubitat is not designed for or capable of what you're wanting. The systems that are capable and have this are not cheap either.

I've not tried them on a Raspberry Pi or other Linux box, but have several of these on newer Windows PCs that don't have RS232 ports:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYNNUS8/

You could also use something like to get the serial data over to IP:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G5P4CPR/

But as you stated, it's going to take more than just a piece of hardware to get it going.

The hardware is the easy and cheap part of this. Now who's going to write the drivers/apps for the integration? Are they doing it for free?

The OP did say:

I'm not sure the Op knows the cost of custom development. Cheaper to just buy Control4 and pay their fees :slight_smile:

Many years ago I wrote serial interfaces to customer owned equipment. Even with a guide (sometimes inches thick) on the specific protocols the devices used for serial communication, it was often time consuming to write an interface to handle all of the options. So yes, it could be a very expensive development project.

Disclosure: I've not written any code in a LONG time other than some simple scripting.