Which z stick and xbee stick do you guys recommend

Which z stick and xbee stick do you guys recommend for cleaning up and general maintenance? I have all zwave plus and Zigbee 3.0 on the c5 hub if that matters.

I have a SiLabs UZB-3

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/silicon-labs/ACC-UZB3-U-STA/703-1128-ND/6111632

2 Likes

I normally use an Aeon Z-Stick (because it's what I'm using as the primary Z-Wave controller on my C-3 hub), but pretty much any Z-Wave USB stick should work. I've also used a Zooz ZST10, a Nortek HUSBZB-1 (came with my C-3 but I moved Zigbee to a different hub later on so didn't need it for that anymore), and a 700-series stick similar to the above. I think the ZWave.Me and HomeSeer sticks would also work. Most marketed towards DIY systems should.

So, that's Z-Wave. It's useful with Aeon's software (that's why I'm using a Z-Stick--this software is picky) or Z-Wave PC Controller (any stick works here--this software is not picky), the latter of which you may have seen as one way to update firmware or comb dead nodes Hubitat doesn't see or clean up on its own out of your system.

For Zigbee, I'm not sure what you're looking for. There's nothing quite like this on that side of things. An Xbee can be useful for mapping your network (there's a whole thread on this), but Hubitat has a simple way to view some of this already built-in, and there is no capability for network management with one (Zigbee doesn't have the equivalent of secondary controllers on Z-Wave, for one; the Xbee is just a repeater, albeit a slightly special one, you can add to map your network or--I think--a repeater or end device you can add for other functions if you program it). It's still cool, but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a hobby for me. Just expanding my knowledge and experience so I can help others. For the Z-Wave I just want to check and see if I have any zombie nodes. I've gone through several iterations of my current mesh. I don't have any big expectations. For the Xbee I am just curious to see how it is routing everything.

Z-wave 700 stick by Silicon Labs: SLUSB001A $19 at Mouser:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/634-SLUSB001A

I use it mainly for firmware updates (as a secondary controller). That way I don't have to include/exclude the device or change drivers. Makes updates real simple.

For Zigbee I have three XBees (kit of 3 with carrier boards + Xbees is $99). Good for repeaters and for investigating the network (have to connect one of the Xbees to a computer to scan the network--can be freestanding to act as repeaters).

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/888-XK3-Z8S-WZM

1 Like

Out of curiosity, when you have a secondary controller like that, do you leave it running 24/7 or do you exclude it once you are done updating.

I don't exclude it. I just don't run it when I'm done updating. Haven't had issues with the mesh.

1 Like

Same here. Nothing in my mesh uses my secondary controller as a route anyway, So it doesn't hurt leaving it powered down in my case.

Is this stick specific to a Z-wave region? I am in Asia and use a different freq than in the US.

It's the same frequency in the US and Canada so should be okay.

source:
https://store.zwavecenter.com/image/catalog/PDF/Z-Wave_Frequency_Coverage.pdf

I like the Aeotec Z-Stick+ due to the internal battery and the ability to handle remote exclusions/inclusions - it doesn't have the latest and greatest chip but that has not been an issue so far. I've found it be very handy.

I actually have both the UZB-7 and the Z-Stick+ (and a UZB-3 for zniffing!!). I leave the UZB-7 paired with my main C-7 hub and connected to my laptop or powered usb hub on my desktop if I go some where.

My Z_wave is in China 868.4. Nothing with the USA> So my question is about it working there.

Ah sorry I thought your mention of CA in the other thread was California - I am sooo "American" or as we say 'murican (accompanied by overly loud patriotic music and flag waving) - much apologies!!!