Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

I need to replace my (2) Schlage locks that I previously had on Wink and currently on SmartThings.
Based on this thread, I've seen countless people referencing to Yale locks so I had a few questions.

Oh man, you really wanted to start a brawl, didn't you?! :wink:

I only have experience w/one brand/model, Schlage Zwave BE 469.

It's been perfect since the day I installed it, as long as I've provided it a decent DTH (SmartThings) or driver (HE). Joined both ST and HE w/out any issues. I always join it w/hub within 6 feet. Gets connected, has never lost connection, treats batteries nicely.

Locks when I tell it to (automations or touch-screen, etc.) same w/unlocking, codes work, etc., etc.,

Just zero issues over years of use, I would buy another Schlage in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

I have my schlage lock unlock when we arrive. Don't need Bluetooth for that.

Check your local Lowe’s. They started clearancing schlage at mine to around 66% off.

YRD226 is on the compatible list.. so yes. It also comes in either Z-Wave or Zigbee.

Many differing opinions about this.. I started with YRD256 w/Z-Wave but experienced too many issues early on and ended up switching the module to Zigbee and it's just worked ever since. However there are others that have been running with Z-Wave for years and are happy as well.

You might want to consider what devices you already have on your network - things old Z-Wave devices that require polling / Xiaomi or other cheap Zigbee devices etc + distance to hub etc. Those could potentially help you figure out which one to get.

Since Schlage is not officially supported you will get what you get - but if you can get a huge discount???. At least the community is here to help and they are awesome.

1 Like

Kwikset 914 Zigbee

• Reports reliably
  • Physical buttons that ALWAYS work (unlike how capacitive lock buttons work a lot of the time in my experience)
1 Like

I'll second that. It works brilliantly. I did use DAP 3.0 clear silicone to seal the exterior where it meets the door as I saw a lot of negative reviews that seemed likely to be moisture related.

1 Like

Might not be the "flashiest" but it works 100.0% of the time for me. Never misses a lock/unlock update, and the lock code reports always come in and are correct.

1 Like

That's my idea of flashy. The wife also appreciates 100% reliability above anything else in a deadbolt.

My wife was ready to throw our Kwikset 916 in the river... We have 2 of them (in places she never has to touch them as I replaced the one she uses with the 914).

CONSTANTLY we have issues getting the keypad to "wake up" to accept input. And even then it missed button presses at least 33% of the time.

I hate the 916 with a passion.

1 Like

I have 2 of those and three 914s. I put the 916s on doors that aren't directly exposed to the elements. Sun and rain seem to be the enemy of waking the touchscreen; also bony hands I'm told, but not an affliction I suffer from.
Also put the 914 on the door my wife most often uses.

Never experienced a keyboard failure my Schlage, and it gets brutal afternoon sun every day for years...Kwikset must have botched the engineering and/or cost-reduced the BOM on that keypad pretty massively.

1 Like

Why?

Can you then refer me to the documentation and setup of the Schlage Z-Wave Connect BE469 locks? I was told from numerous people including these forums that they do not work with the system.

Pair it close to the lock and invest in repeaters that support beaming. You pair it to hubitat just like you paired it in the past.

1 Like

I paired two of them to my C7 a couple weeks ago. They are picky but they will pair.

You'll need your lock programming code to reset it to get it ready to pair w/HE. It's on the back of your Schlage User Guide that came w/your lock. Here's a link to the guide that has the info you need:

Link:

ALso want the hub very close-by, as locks may pair in low-power mode to avoid having codes scanned/stolen at a distance.

Mine paried easily w/the hub several feet away.

Here's where you can find your programming code:

Is there something special you need to do via Hubitat to get them to pair, like select a certain device, etc.?

Nope, not for me. Just get the hub nearby, you could reboot the hub before trying to have it in a "fresh" state. Just follow the Schlage pairing directions.

Paired fine with hub on top of my Faraday fridge about 50 ft away.

2 Likes