Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

Were you able to change out the zwave module for a zigbee or did you have to replace the entire lock? I'm in a similar boat with older z-wave (non plus) models. If I have to replace the entire lock I'll probably just move to the Yale locks.

Cheers!

I have 2x 916. Hate the touchscreen on them. The touchscreen almost always takes multiple presses to "wake up" before you can enter numbers. I've tried pressing with palm, back of hand, multiple fingers, etc. All the same - maybe 1 in 20 times it wakes up 1st press. And both do the same thing, so it isn't just a single bad device.

I much prefer my 914s with physical buttons. They work 1st try every time, which I can't say for the 916 touchscreen.

1 Like

Unfortunately not an option that I found. No zigbee modules that I could find. Ended up just ordering a new lock. I was waiting hoping the lock would go on sale for Prime Day but it never did so paid full price.

3 Likes

I swear by my IDlock 150. It's working so well that I don't want to move it from SmartThings (using Rboys smart lock device app). Stellar! Anyone got it working on Hubitat?

1 Like

Yale YRD256 or 246. I have the Z-wave Plus version of the YRD 256 and I have the HomeKit version of the YRD 246. No problem with either, ever.

Not super noisy, but if your lock doesnโ€™t close easily, I have read they are not that good for those situations. Those with the Zigbee versions seem to be extremely pleased as well.

2 Likes

That's exactly the situation I faced.

Because Schlage doesn't have a replaceable z-wave/zigbee module (terrible design choice), I replaced my locks with Yale zigbee equivalents. These new Yale locks are terrific - much quieter than the Schlage ones. Response time is pretty much instant, And they don't drop off ......

3 Likes

two are 914 and one is a Amazon Convert Lock with a keyed Kwikset deadbolt for back deck door.

1 Like

Ok, so I've got it down between Alfred and Yale. I like the BT option for easy entry with the Alfred. I need some help deciding. Are there any cons to these locks. Are they easy to pair?

Cons for Alfred: It's a new player so there may be bugs issues that have not been found yet.

Pros for Alfred: Already listed the features, I haven't had it long enough in use to provide more info.

Yale: I don't know. Don't have one.

2 Likes

Agree 100% with @jeubanks.

WIth the addition that I have only good things to say about the Yale.

2 Likes

I do like the look of the alfred keyless. The hubs gave me the go ahead to get a lock. Such a tough decision. I really like the BT option. It would just be so easy when you get home to be able to press the unlock and not a code. hmm
@jeubanks have you set up the bluetooth? I assume that you have to use the app with that? Did you run into any difficulties with this aspect? Have you tried? I can't remember what you mentioned before.
I'm thiking that the Yale might go on the front door soon as I want to make sure to have a keyed option on the exteriors.

[EDIT]
Not fond of the keyed option on the Alfred either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did install the app and setup the BT. It paired easily with my phone and gave access to the lock. I did a lock/unlock and that was it. I have not ran this through much more day to day testing as I've not gone anywhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yah, I think I've decided. I've watched far too many videos on each by now. I wish I could buy both right now! Is there a good place to buy an alfred for the best price? @jeubanks

A sign of the times. However, can you not test it by turning BT off and back on?

1 Like

I got the Yale keyless on both my exterior doors. That was a bold move.

Carry a 9v in your car. You're all set
:grin:

1 Like

Oh you're smarter than me. I need to do that!

1 Like

Not hardly, but thanks. I'm sure the convenience store Is just a hop away should you be in immediate need.

1 Like

Oh yes you are. Do you know what my plan was? To cut a hole in the back door. I completely forgot about the 9V contacts!!

2 Likes

I thought i said I locked/unlocked from my phone BT in testing? I just have not tested the auto-lock/unlock of the phone being nearby.... I'll try that out today though just to report back.

1 Like