Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

This is what I worry about. All of my mains are zwave and zwave plus. Most of my zigbee mesh consists of battery controlled things other than 10 iris plugs. Now the hub is in the center of the house, so there's not much more than 20 feet at the farthest point in distance from any of my devices. Given that information, I worry that I'd have trouble with zigbee because those plugs could be unplugged at any point in time for whatever reason. What would you do?

[Edit]
Then I think that the kwikset 916 might be an ok choice because it's technically an interior lock that would be secondary, so the chances of it getting bumped are lower because by the time one gets to that lock, we'll know they're in the garage. But, I don't see that on the compatibility list. Doesn't mean it's not compatible, I know that, but I'd rather be sure. Kind've matches my sch .... outdoor lock.

1 Like

I have Schlage Zwave (non plus) and a a Schlage Zigbee. Both work very well. Had problems with my older firmware Schlage zwave and replaced it with Zigbee because every lock in my house is Schlage so stuck with brand.

@mike.maxwell discussed a lock, new brand to me, the other night on Hubitat Live. Maybe thatโ€™s an option.

1 Like

Alfred. And @mike.maxwell liked the DB1 more than the DB2.

1 Like

@ritchierich
My Schlage Zwave (non plus) work fine but has a few second delay which may be due to the hub firing the rule not the lock.
thinking of upgrading my Schlage Zwave (non plus) to a Schlage Zigbee did you notice if the zigbee version responded faster?

Yes I am starting to prefer zigbee over zwave but not all devices I have come in zigbee. The zigbee lock has been great and I get notified near instantly when certain codes unlock the door.

1 Like

did you see my question above? In your OPINION, do you think that I'd have problems if I went zigbee?

I may have to go back and watch that. I just got the DB2 for testing and It's a nice lock. What was the summary version of why Mike liked the DB1 over the DB2?

I don't remember if he said why he liked the DB1 more than the DB2. He did mention the only difference between the two was that the DB2 had voice.

Sorry missed it :disappointed_relieved:. Hard to answer because depends on your mesh. Zigbee can be tricky because it operates in same frequency band as many other household devices. I have about 100 Zigbee devices, mostly mains powered repeaters so the Zigbee lock works well. I also bought an Xbee with high gain antenna so my Iris contact sensor in my mailbox would stay connected. If you have a few Iris, ST, IKEA smart plugs you should be ok - remember reading you removed your peanuts. You can always put a smart plug in same location as this lock and test to make sure it works it simulate lock being there.

I have no regrets other than wishing I had bought it a year earlier versus fighting to get old one paired to HE. Beauty is I removed the pins from old lock and put them in the new one myself to keep same key. Videos on YouTube on how to do this. Forget about those kits, a round 1/2 inch drill bit fits perfectly in the cylinder to hold in springs while you change them.

There's a couple more things different but I'll stop hijacking this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't consider this a hiacking. I'm sitting here comparing two locks because I'm not sure what the pros and cons are and really didn't say these two locks were it and another one comes up that was mentioned in HE live. (deep breath. I'm good at run-on sentences. :grin: ) Of course I want to hear about it. This is how we get things done here. A bit of banter off topic raises new questions.

1 Like

LOL - ok you asked...

Until today I didn't have any smart locks installed. So this is my first installed lock. I've tested other locks but on the bench which doesn't really count too much right? :slight_smile:

Anyways I got the Alfred DB2, Z-Wave Module and Wifi Gateway for testing and development against. The DB2 is (to me) nicer looking than the DB1 and has a nice flat touch screen exterior with the same interior box as others. The DB2 is more expensive than the DB1 because it supports the Z-Wave module and Wifi gateway and because the Z-Wave module is a module it can be replaced if needed and probably in the near future there might be a Zigbee module. I don't know as I didn't ask that but I will.

The DB1 comes in three versions base, keyed with z-wave or zwave only. All three support Bluetooth for phone connectivity and unlocking as well.

The DB2 has two models the DB2 and DB2-B. The only difference between them is the DB2-B has keyed entry. The DB2 supports Bluetooth and the addon Z-Wave module or using the Wifi gateway.

I have not tested the Wifi gateway yet.

I included 3 z-wave plus plugs into HE to give a path from the office area to the door where the lock was installed. The lock included into HE without complaints and it worked. Not much more to tell really.

Oh and yeah the DB2 does have voice prompts and a voice alarm when it doesn't operate correctly. I had quite a bit of the jam alarms when I first installed it as the opening for the bolt was not deep enough in this door so the bolt wouldn't fully extend. My drill made quick work of that issue :slight_smile: The voice prompts CAN be turned off too.

4 Likes

Thank you. That was a very neutral description of the lock. I hadn't considered bluetooth, but how nice would that be if we arrived and the door unlocked as we approached. hmm ... I'm seeing some possibilities here.

1 Like

I liked the BT along with Z-Wave. The Wifi was just bonus. I forgot to mention the DB2 also has a mini USB connector in the event of dead batteries so you can connect a battery pack to it. I went with the DB2 over the DB2-B because of looks. I like the idea of the keyed entry but the keyed knob stuck out further than I liked and with the keypad entry and BT I didn't see a real need for a key.

2 Likes

I second this.

I have one Kwikset Zwave plus and two Kwikset Zigbee deadbolt locks around the house.

1 Like

Which models do you have?

1 Like

I was looking at the 916. Think it would work with HE considering the other locks use the generic driver?

1 Like

April - you will need to build out your Zigbee mesh similar to the zwave. Ultimately though if you have just one peanut in each room you effectively have covered your mesh network. I have a ton of KOF in the home so each one of those rooms has a peanut controlling something that used to be ZWave (light, aquarium light, etc).

Having both meshes is great IMO. The Zigbee for lighting is a must as you can eliminate the popcorn effect thanks to Zigbee group messaging.

Just my $0.02.

I agree with you 100%. I have a large zigbee network as well, (bulbs, sensors, LEDs) but everything in it is pretty liquid and can be moved including the wall plugs. I'll stay away from peanuts out of personal preference, but I have 10 Iris zigbee plugs that can be moved wherever. That ... is really my fear. Things kind've toss up when one of them gets unplugged and moved, so I'm afraid of instability for that reason. My mains are zwave and zwave plus for switches and they're not moving anywhere. It's a tough decision.

1 Like