Which motion sensor?

Heard the same thing, but also had similar confusion around Picos and HomeKit, which is not happening.

Waiting for confirmation from inside channels, not sales reps. :wink:

Keep us posted.

1 Like

The Iris V2 sensors are super fast and reliable and while they are not wired, their batteries last several years. They are dirt cheap. I have over 20 of them throughout my house and they are rock solid. I use multiple sensors in large spaces.

3 Likes

My two cents - of the 3 motion sensors I've tried (Hue Motion, Iris v3, Bosch ISW-ZPR1-WP13) the most sensitive was the Hue Motion by far (and you can adjust in settings) and is my favorite (though it's also the most expensive...) The Iris v3 sensor is also good and it has a humidity sensor (great for starting the fan in a bathroom.) The Bosch one is terrible (not sensitive and stops detecting motion after 3 minutes after initial detection) for my purposes but to be fair it's meant to be a security sensor not a general motion sensor.

To update you, I have been testing a hue indoor sensor, a Xiaomi one, and the Aeotec one.

Whilst it is early testing days, I am amazed that the Xiaomi one seems to be performing the best, including recognising movement from a further distance (around the 5.8m mark).

I should add though that the Xiaomi sensor was an absolute pain to pair. The Hue was not reporting motion for a while - after some trial and error, it began to work.

The Hue one is much more responsive that the Aeotec one as well.

Thank you again for all your wisdom.

I have used Smartthings, Aeotech and Aqara motion sensors. I did find Aeotech to be the slowest and SmartThings and Aqara to be very reliable.

Most my experience was with SmartThings as I have just recently moved over to HE.

I can confirm from my experience so far the Aqara/Xiaomi sensors were very easy to pair with HE and I have had no issues with them so far.

I use both Bosch and Iris v2.

Bosch are sensitive but designed for security use. Three minute delay window before retriggering.

Iris are also very sensitive, have a roughly 30 second retrigger delay timeout, detecting motion from something as small as squirrels. I also made a battery eliminator the size of a CR2 battery that can be used with a micro USB adapter or standard AA, C or D batteries.

Mike

1 Like

Testing with the Xiaomi is still going well. This one is currently my preferred device.

Out of interest, has anyone replaced their light switches entirely with zigbee ones which are not directly wired in?

I am about to do this using the enocean zigbee batteryless switches.

Again, testing on a limited basis seems fine but if anyone has branched out on a larger scale, grateful to hear from you.

I am not going to have any live switches to the bulbs - the circuits will always be on as the bulbs will be β€œsmart”.

For those in the UK (although you need to confirm this with your own electrician etc), I have been told by multiple sources (including by the switch supplier) that this is UK building reg compliant provided that the live circuit can be turned off at the main RCD unit.

You must have a reason for this so I'd love to know why your against wired in switchers (which act as repeaters)
Won't you just have more batteries to replace / go leaky (I just had a leaky battery try to destroy one of my 3 in 1 sensors) and more devices plugged in acting as repeaters ?
It seems to be more pain and not a lot of gain, so c'mon "please explain" ? :slight_smile:

A fair question - the switches I am using do not need batteries. The clicking action provides the power - changing batteries or charging would be a non-starter.

1 Like

These switches are going to be paired with a Hue Bridge? I don't think Hubitat supports the direct pairing of Green Power Zigbee devices.

Yes that is right. The lights will be linked to the hue hub and also these switches.

The motion sensors will be on Hubitat which will trigger the lights on the hue hub.

My aim is to automate everything so the switches are ultimately redundant but you never know...

2 Likes

Would love to see that! Wish someone made some not ridiculously priced ones.

Someone posted this in another thread the other day:

It's around $10 USD, which isn't super-cheap but not outrageous. Just thought I'd pass it along in case you hadn't seen it! (No personal experience with it and no reviews, so who knows.)

1 Like

Well, I'll be! Thanks!

1 Like

For the amount of time it takes to make one, 3d printing the "battery" wiring the micro usb female to the 3.3v regulator and a usb charger, the version posted below is worth while.

However I had a few spots where mains power was not available or convenient so I used a dual AA battery pack instead.

Mike

Does this last longer than a CR2 or CR123A? Mine last over a year and probably even more (hungry devices like the Aeon Multi excepted), but most of my alkaline devices don't. I guess if you use rechargeables this may be better given that these are hard to find in other form factors.

Ahh but why the black cable !!image

1 Like

My busiest motion sensor is outside (northern ohio temps) with about a month in use so far is at 75%. My other outdoor motion sensors (not busy) are at 87%-100%. Iris ver2 Zigbee motions

Capacity wise a AA (alkaline) is supposed to be ~2700mah compared to ~800mah for a CR2. But it is my understanding that Li batteries don't do well in the cold.

Mike

My understanding is the opposite: alkalines experience a notable voltage drop in cold weather that lithiums don't care as much about. I'm not sure if/how recovery and total life are actually affected.