Which hub would you recommend to a normal person?

You can buy them both online. However, both regular and Pro Caseta dimmers and switches can be used with the Pro bridge.

I would recommend your daughter purchase the Pro bridge over the regular bridge for the capacity to integrate it in the future into a more power Home Automation solution.

Edit - wanted to add. Lutron's products are world-class. Once installed, they simply work. No fiddling about to make them work. That, alone, is why they're worth the premium over any fly-by-night WiFi switch.

5 Likes

Haha. It wasn't always shite. It's what got me into this HA thing in the first place, and I guess I'll always look back on the initial experience fondly. I recall reading about hubitat back then and thinking "that sounds cool... One day!".

Then over the past 18 months samsung has utterly shagged it. Shame.

/derailment.

1 Like

Are you planning on installing and maintaining a full Ubiquiti network stack at your daughter's house as well? If so, then I could see the attraction of WiFi based devices. However, if your daughter is going to opt for the ISP provided all-in-one WiFi-Router-Modem solution, I would be much more concerned. As @djh_wolf has stated, a solid WiFi network is essential for the use of any WiFi home automation devices. And, a solid WiFi network can be pretty pricey, as I am certain you know from buying your our UniFi network hardware. :wink:

The reason I suggest both Lutron Caseta and Philips Hue is because they both "just work" without any major headaches or hassles. Once set up, there is essentially no maintenance required. This seemed to be what your original post was aiming for, although I can totally understand that the cost for both of these solutions is not trivial. Also, both can easily be added to Hubitat later on (as long as you use the Lutron Caseta SmartBridge Pro2.)

Lutron Pico remotes are an amazing button controller, that can really improve the usability of the overall system. These can be placed on small tabletop stands, attached to walls, etc... Makes it very convenient to control in-wall switches, dimmers, and fan controllers from a bedside nightstand, for example (especially when voice control might wake a sleeping spouse.)

One thing to make sure is well understood, before going down the WiFi smart switch route, is how are 3-way/4-way switch configurations handled? I have never used any WiFi switches, and thus I do not know if they offer companion/auxiliary switches/dimmers as accessories or not. Or, do they utilize the existing 3-way switches? If so, if remote physical dimming adjustments are desired, you'll need to find a solution that will handle this scenario.

That might be the sticky point with many WiFi in-wall switch/dimmer solutions... :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, in fairness, yes ST wasn't always crap. I started out with a ST link attached to my Nividia Shield. It turned out to be an abandoned product, but it did work quite well for several years, before the ST people killed it.

My ST v3 hub continues to chug along quite nicely as a secondary zwave controller. For all ST's flaws, its zwave component has always worked flawlessly for me so my hopes of retiring the hub have vaporized.

1 Like

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply!

To be clear - I am not going to maintain this smart home! I barely have enough patience for my own.

I just ordered two of the Kasa HS220 dimmers. As helpfully mentioned above, let's go slowly and see how things work a little bit at a time.

I decided to go with Kasa instead of Treatlife just because I have some experience with Kasa and TP-Link even though they were slightly more expensive.

My daughter has the Spectrum standard-issue modem/router so I may offer them the TP-Link router and mesh access points I replaced with the UDMP Pro.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

I will update as we go.

Doesn't wifi stuff usually require a remote server that could dry up and blow away at any time? Or, is there local wifi, that doesn't require the cloud?

1 Like

My WiFi konnected-flashed nodemcu's are completely local.

1 Like

There is a local Kasa integration for Hubitat and Home Assistant - the choice that @Hal3 made . I don't know if initial setup requires the TP-Link Kasa cloud.

2 Likes

I agree with @sburke781 - it is hard to make a recommendation.

I think Lutron is a great way to go BUT it's expensive and with Caseta line the switches are not "normal" looking - my wife does not like the look for example. However with the Bridge Pro integrating with HE in the future is a nice potential upgrade.

I suspect you are going to be the support person anyway whether you want to or not... :wink:

2 Likes

Usually. Unless you use a hub and local app like I do with my Hubitat and LIFX bulbs.

Becoming smart home preppers can come later if they want. If the internet or the apps go down they will just have to switch off the lights manually like the pioneers did.

3 Likes

:neutral_face:
:no_mouth:

1 Like

My opinion Hubitat is not for users without decent amount of technical acumen. For the layman, I would point them at using Apple HomeKit, HomePods, and the emerging Thread standard.

5 Likes

@hal3 - What type of phones/tablets does your daughter and son-in-law use? If Apple devices, then I would strongly encourage HomeKit capable devices. As @lawsonad mentioned above, HomeKit is a pretty nice, simple, reliable, local platform.

That is another reason I like Philips Hue and Lutron Caseta - both have native HomeKit support, as well as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Logitech Harmony Hub, Hubitat, SmartThings, Home Assistant, Node-RED, etc... I also use Ecobee thermostats, as they also offer HomeKit compatibility, as well as offering Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc... :wink:

4 Likes

The trouble is if you need more complex rules then HK can offer you are kind of stuck. It really depends on what they want to do - if they want to emulate the convenience @Hal3's setup then just go for an HE. Worst case you pay someone for assistance or dive into this community or both.

I really like Homebridge as a way to get non HK devices into HomeKit. The community HK Nodes apps are great. However mentioned - yeah some technical expertise is required unfortunately.

I think most people can figure out the simpler parts of HE nowadays.

1 Like

I worry about support for non-technical people. Another thing that attracted me to Lutron Caseta is many electricians are familiar with the Lutron product line and some of them have the training on their smart products.

5 Likes

There's another benefit to HomeKit that was implied by @lawsonad and @ogiewon, but not explicitly stated - the Home app (and two alternatives available on the App Store). It is simple to create automations with Homekit devices using the Home app.

4 Likes

The simplicity is nice until you want to do more complex things with your rules - to customize/optimize them for your lifestyle then it starts becoming a roadblock.

The key is to find the best balance between power, simplicity and extensibility and Hubitat provides a lot of that right out of the gate. The trouble is getting it "just right" for normal users likely requires someone with a little more technical experience.

3 Likes

They are both Apple people.

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't do Apple.

I didn't even think about Homekit.

We have a couple of Kasa WiFi dimmers coming - no hub required. I'll install those and see what the acceptance factor is and go forward from there.

Stay tuned!

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I second that! My Lutron Caseta devices are "solid as a rock" They respond quickly and NEVER lose connection or fail. I have over 40 Lutron devices. Some are over 100ft from my Lutron Pro hub in my shed out back and they stay connected. Lutron ClearConnect communications protocol is SOLID. Yes the switches are expensive but they are set and forget. They are also stylish and look good, in my opinion. The integration to Hubitat is simple, local and always works.

5 Likes

Be aware that many WiFi products use a proprietary protocol, and just as often, via the cloud. This has two impacts, 1) cloud means delay and outage potentials, 2) Hubitat is able to use your LAN/WiFi to reach devices, but may not be able to have a full conversation. As your daughter transitions out of Alexa (Home Control) to Hubitat (Home Automation) years from now, some of those WiFi devices will have to be replaced.

This Community is filled with people on the same quest: to find the next new amazing Home Automation product. They won't be keeping it a secret. :slight_smile: Therefore, if you find a product that seems attractive, use the search feature to find out what others may have found already.

2 Likes