Which bulbs for 240v?

Can someone please suggest a brand for bulbs that work on 240volts?

The only ones I found are the following from Gledopto for Zigbee. Color LED RGB.

I purchased 3 of them but one of them after just 3 months in use, starts to power itself automatically down every 1 hour. I turn it on again manually and then it powers off again after a while. The other 2 are still working but for $30 each I expected better results than this.

I don't need the RGB functions. Just a simple smart bulb I can turn on automatically. Surprisingly these specific bulbs are not available on Amazon anymore, even if I wanted I cannot replace the existing one that is already failing.

You should be able to find them on Aliexpress for less than that. I've not had any issues with mine so hopefully your dud is a one-off.

Do you own the same bulbs?

I noticed these bulbs are extremely hot, you can't even touch them. I can touch all other regular LED bulbs. I suspect they are only advertised as 220volts but aren't really. Otherwise, I can't explain why they are so hot to the touch.

I'm pretty sure that Yeelights support 240V and are Hubitat Compatible Devices.

I have around 20 of them and they run fine including in ceiling enclosures. Having said that I normally don't run them at full brightness, but when I have I haven't noticed any overheating issues.

Not sure if they do ones rated for a lower voltage. What does it say on the lamp? Pls make sure you definitely have lamps with the correct voltage rating otherwise they will definitely be running too hot and could be a fire hazard.

The reason I suspected overheating was because the only one that started doing this is inside an enclosure.

They are available on AliExpress. I might check them. Yes, it does say 110-240 on the bulb. This is why I purchased them from Amazon as I could read it in the picture description. I'm sure more bulbs support dual voltage but unless its listed I prefer to avoid buying something with incorrect voltage.

But now things get stranger. I never played around with Hubitat and the bulbs yet, just had them with kelvin settings at max white and it seems this runs in mode called CT?

The reason I ask this is because today I changed this bulb just to use a low green color, And on Hubitat it displays as RGB mode as opposed to the other two bulbs. And the bulb is not powering off anymore !!!

This seems very strange. Either the bulb has different modes to run and one is bugged or the green RBG color uses less heat... I have no idea.

I only changed this bugged bulb to RGB. I tried changing it back as the others, and then it turns on again in less than one hour.

Just checked and it states 110volts:

https://www.amazon.com/YEELIGHT-Equivalent-Smartphone-Controlled-Compatible/dp/B076C7S1K3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=yeelight&qid=1595222830&sr=8-3

Most of them are made in China and I suspect almost all of them are dual voltage for all markets but on Amazon US they mostly list all of them as 110v to avoid confusing people. I just want to prevent buying something by mistake as I did before. And unless I can actually confirm that specific model supports the voltage it would be dangerous to assume otherwise.

The gledeptos I have are not listed as compatible with Hubitat but work fine.

In my experience many lamps are not dual voltage. For example Hue. They specifically make separate models for the 110 and 240 volt models (I know because I bought the wrong one, didn't realise and also had it shutting down before I realised I could have burned my house down). Now I've learned to always check. By the way, I also bought some cheap WiFi bulbs from AliExpress (Magic type/brand) and they were 220-240v rated but some of them would run very hot and the WiFi would stop working when in a tight enclosure. So this type of issue I think is not uncommon even if you do get the correctly rated lamp. Best to use a generous enclosure which is what I've now gone for.

Yes they work fine, but I've found my mesh much more healthy after I put them on to Hue (where they also work very nicely). So I do believe their repeating leaves something to be desired, at least in my case where I have quite a lot of Xiaomi motion detectors that seem happier now, along with my IKEA repeaters.

Agree. This is why I started this threat so others can contribute with their known 220-240 volts bulb brands. I don't want to risk any fire or electrical issues with non-rated bulbs. I know for a fact that Chinese products tend to also fake electric certifications which is very dangerous. Example of this is almost every single multi meter sold under $50 (very dangerous...).

You are correct. Some brands make one for the US and different ones for EU markets. I was mostly speaking about generic Chinese bulbs. Strangely I don't have any luck searching for EU Zwave or Zigbee devices either. I can of course just try Bluetooth or Wi-Fi bulbs, but I was looking into more Zigbee & Zwave bulbs that will natively integrate with Hubitat.

I hope others can contribute on which brands they are using and result in good experiences. Smart bulbs are not cheap either. I would expect them to last at least the same as any non-smart LED bulb.

I was not aware of that. They also repeat the signal? I thought only Z-Wave devices did that but not Zigbee. They do look like quality bulbs. I assume most generic bulbs will work fine with Hubitat as well. Unless someone recommends another brand I guess I will stick to them but I'm willing to also test and try other brands.

Yes, powered zigbee devices often act as repeaters and these Gledopto's definitely repeat (I've seen them in the mesh report from the hub). There are quite a lot of posts across the forum on lamps that dont repeat that you can check out. For me, putting them all into Hue has given me a much improved mesh so thats also an approach you can consider (either Hue or another HE hub) if you do get any mesh issues from the lamps.

I’ve got 240v Zigbee Sengleds in GU10 format, working great. No repeating issues with these babies because they don’t repeat - by design. Unlike other brands.

Amazon isn't the best place to look for specifications. Amazon doesn't make those bulbs. Yeelight (a Xiaomi subsidiary) does.

Here's Yeelight's information for the same bulb:

https://www.yeelight.com/en_US/product/lemon2-color

It supports an input voltage of 100-240V and both 50 Hz and 60 Hz.

Edit - I'll also add that I've seen them used in lots of Asia countries (China, Malaysia Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka), where the voltage used is 220-240V.

Thanks. I will check them out.

So it seems we have now in our list:
Gledopto
Yeelights
Sengleds

1 Like

If you're prepared to use a community integration, then LiFX also makes universal voltage bulbs (100-240V, 50/60 Hz).

What about ikea ??

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same; though my UK ones are labelled 220-240V and I'm assuming @VW000 is in the US, so perhaps those are 100-120V only?

Can't find any information about this though, but for a supplier the size of IKEA it wouldn't surprise me if they were all the same and simply printed up in different languages with regional power labeling.

Can you link to those Ikea bulbs? I assume they are just rebranded from some other Chinese brand that maybe is also sold with a different name.

No. They’re made by a xiaomi subsidiary exclusively for ikea.

1 Like