Where to buy, door handle locks

Hi @All,

Just curious where people recommend purchasing their smart locks from other than Amazn. I know the most common overstock, wayfair, but where else do you recommend, so I can support someone beyond mighty Amazn.

We are looking at purchasing 25+ locks for a commercial building (small town Main street, so don't think big city, high value clients!), I'm just wanting to control entry into common spaces, restrooms, offices (ie. client doesn't pay for 30 days, door doesn't unlock.), etc.

Anyone have some leads for this?

TIA,
Charlie

I imagine you'll want the locks to be identical, so why not purchase directly from the manufacturer, if they offer that option? For that number of locks, you may even get a discount.

Here's the site for Yale Locks:

2 Likes

You may have already taken this into consideration, but doing something like that could be considered an illegal eviction unless you’ve already taken the tenant to court (and gotten the eviction order you were asking for).

1 Like

Home depot

1 Like

@marktheknife thanks for the input. This is commercial offices, so completely different from residential. Which many people don’t understand because it’s commercial, and they sign a lease agreement that clearly states XYZ means just that and there isn’t the laws that support them like residential laws.

We can legally move all of their goods, inventory, etc. to the street, to make way for the next tenant with zero recourse. Not that we would do that, but we clearly explain to people when going over the lease, that commercial is not residential and there is very very little laws supporting them.

3 Likes

I'm in the early stages of building a self storage facility and have done some preliminary research on access control systems. There are many providers in that space with different products that sound like they would meet your needs.

Locks that can be installed in the wall/door that can be unlocked with a pin, phone, fob, etc. People can change their pin online, and you can set rules for time of day they can have access, lockout rules for non-payment, etc.

Maybe it's overkill for your purposes, but it gives you a lot of control.

A few examples:
https://bearbox.eu/en/

https://www.spiderdoor.com/self-storage-access-control-keypad/

Go visit your local locksmith, most have access to this kind of product, they are mostly the same price as the big box stores (if you are going with general public kind of locks) and they will be able to point you in the right direction if you should go with a commercial/industrial product instead.

@nclark thank you for the advice. Now on a serious note, This is a town of 10,000 people in a farming community, the local locksmith is Ace Hardware. The computer repair guy went out of business because he didn’t actually know how to repair computers and I’m already having issues with a few tenants with making payments online (the evil government is going to track them and steal their money!)… Yeah, local isn’t an option, unless I drive to Aspen, an hour away at which point it’s triple cost because the ultra rich will spend that much… thus I looking for a one-time purchase system that I can manage internally without crazy monthly fees.

2 Likes

@stevenkandres THANK YOU! I’ve contacted two of the companies. I’m hoping they are independent and not cloud/subscription based or can use them on hubitat.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.