When a Clone is not a Clone

For info only, no action needed. I recently Cloned my NX1000 Button Controller to a new device. The Clone was successful except for the Button Labels. That makes sense, Button Labels are part of the device, not a rule that can be cloned. I had to manually enter the labels into the new device to complete the Clone.

??

What exactly did you do? There's no built-in function to "clone" a device.

You can "replace" a failed z-wave device. And Hubitat has a "swap" device app that works with devices that don't have child devices.

Did you do either of these? If so, which one? Or was something entirely different done?

5 Likes

I think the OP is saying that he cloned an existing button controller rule for use with a different button device.

2 Likes

Perhaps to avoid some of the confusion, some screenshots of what you have attempted to do would be helpful, showing what you have cloned and what you needed to adjust afterwards.

1 Like

Sorry, poor choice of words. I cloned the button rules from my old device to a new device. Worked fine except button labels did not clone because they are device hardware, not a rule. I had to manually enter the button labels to make it a full clone.

3 Likes

I'm still not entirely sure what labels you are referring to, where exactly did you need to adjust the labels? Some screenshots would be helpful.

1 Like

The Nexia NX100 is unique because it allows you to label the 15 buttons with custom labels, but you have to do this in the device dialog on the Devices page.

I'm still not sure what you mean. Can you share screenshots to demonstrate? Button Controller is just an app that lets you create automations in response to button events. It will not set labels on this device (unless you do that in the actions--the app can do almost anything--but this is something you'd expect to be part of the clone).

2 Likes

By this post are you meaning that it is labels back on the device itself you are wanting to adjust?

If you are trying to clone a Button Controller App, like @bertabcd1234 refers to, the app does not impact the labels on the devices involved, even when cloning. It would be useful to know exactly what behavior you are expecting, with some screenshots to explain this in more detail.

1 Like

Yes, I would like to know if there is a way to unset/clear a button label you just set.

That sounds like a different problem. I'm not sure how your device works, but if you want a blank label, perhaps supplying a single space character as the parameter would work (you probably can't pass literally nothing). But again, I'm not sure about this device, and the other topic you created seems like a better place for help with that.

Back to the issue here, is there still a Button Controller issue? Again, Button Controller just helps create automations triggered by button devices. If you have a question about that, I'd again suggest sharing a screenshot of your automation so others can get a clear idea of what is happening.

1 Like

Thank you, but everything works fine. No action is needed.

I'm still unclear on what the issue being described in the first post is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was not a problem, just for info. The Nexia NX1000 Button Controller has 15 buttons and 15 button labels (Set in the Devices dialog.) I wanted to clone to a second controller, but a complete clone required two steps. The first step was to clone the rules package, but the second step required that I manualy enter the 15 labels in the new controllers Device dialog.

Ok, I think I get the issue now... The term button controller, which I've seen referred to on a few of the posts about this device, is also the same name as the app you are likely using to setup the rules. I see on this post what I assume are labels you can configure to be displayed on the unit:

@wayne.pirtle appears to have written the driver, if I am correct, perhaps he could comment on the options available here....?

1 Like

@bertabcd1234, @Bill15 was just commenting that cloning the Button Controller APP configuration has no effect on the NX1000 device configuration. The labels displayed on the device are a part of the device configuration, not the Button Controller APP. Here is a picture of my NX1000.

@sburke781 I did write a device driver for this, but the HE staff has written one since then. It includes access to as many of its capabilities as mine. The only things not accessible by either driver are some lined-based text formatting features such as choice of two fonts and line highlighting.

It is possible to change the labels on the fly through the "Run Custom Action" function in the Button Controller APP and Rule Machine. I suppose if you had several NX1000's and wanted to maintain a consistent configuration across all of them, you could create a Rule Machine rule to configure all of them.

You could also create a Button Controller APP for button 15 that configures all of the other button labels. That would move with the cloning operation, but would be more difficult to maintaing consistency across the devices.

2 Likes