What's a good way to let Alexa or Google speak?

I have several sensors on front and rear door and I would like alexa to speak and tell me which door was opened or closed.

I created a simple rule for a similar case, where a GH Mini announces when someone rang the doorbell:

Summary

announce

You may add several trigger events and use different conditional actions for each contact sensor.
I 'm sure there are more elegant ways to accomplish this, but that's how I with my modest abilities would do it. :wink:

How were u able to send speech command to your GH? I have an Alexa and the alexa app seems to just allow Alexa to control smart devices thru HUBITAT .. i dont see option to send speech command to alexa

Install the community apps “Echo Speaks” or “Amazon Alexa TTS”.

Alternatively, you can setup Alexa routines that are triggered by your contact sensors.

4 Likes

For GH there's a built-in app.

The built in app for Google devices is Chromecast Integration. Rule example below...

Screenshot

1 Like

I just use a routine in Alexa to do what you are trying to do. I have the old SmartThings contact sensors on my doors and added them to to the Amazon echo skill in Hubitat. In the Alexa app create a routine like this:

1. "When this Happens"
  2. Select Smart Home
  3. Select the sensor and then select open or close
  4. Select Messaging and then select Send announcement
  5. Type in what you want her to say. Mine says "Garage door open"

I use announcement so it plays on all of my alexa devices. If you only have one device you can just use "Alexa Says" instead of messaging and announcement.

damn i didnt know about these 2 approaches.. im pleasantly surprised! Thanks!!

awesome sauce thanks man!