What would you do?

This post is not related to Hubitat. I am just wondering what others would do in this case.

I had a camera that failed back in March. I opened an RMA with the company. The RMA was approved, I shipped the item back for testing and within 2 weeks received a replacement camera. All was good!

Last week, I received an email that said my RMA was approved and a replacement was being shipped. I assumed it was a mistake and didn't really think about it. Well, this week I received it but it was a newer model of the cam. I went online and looked at the RMA request... same RMA case number from March but all the old logs about date submitted, date approved, date shipped were replaced with this month's dates so the old logs were gone.

Should I contact them and report the error or should I just wait and see if they catch their error or just chalk it up to their mistake and use the new cam?

I would let them know. It’s their error, they’ll prob just say keep it.

1 Like

Imo, if it was truly a rma because their product messed up, they owe you. You got up and worked every day and gave them your hard earned money. In return they sent you a defective product and you had to expose yourself to “COVID” to gather shipping shipping supplies and ship it back, then go without a camera you paid for for weeks without a camera when you paid for it. They owe you. At least I’d tell myself that and keep the camera, :joy:.

Im going through something similar with zemismart right now. THEY sent me a defective part, I did nothing wrong. So you get to keep my $ (basically an interest free loan), then I have to find a box $3, then drive to FedEx with MY car. Risk, however small, crashing or COVID, then be out of blinds 3 more weeks because YOU messed up. Not me,YOU.

Edit: I read wrong, they sent you two cameras, I’d call and tell them then. I thought you rma’d version 1 and they sent version 2. I’d call and tell them in your case. I’d try and finagle a little while on the phone “for the hassle is there anyway I can send back the old one and keep the new one?

1 Like

Didn’t they fulfill their obligation by sending the first replacement?

2 Likes

Yes, I read wrong, I’d call them and tell….but wouldn’t wanna either :joy:. That’s why you came on here, you were just hoping someone gave a valid reason not to tell them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

3 Likes

Yes. Honesty and fairness are becoming rare these days.

5 Likes

i would say contact them to let them know of the error. most likely they'll say to keep it. if at any point you have to ship it back with your own funds, then i'd say keep it and ignore them, lol. if they want to send you a label though to return it, then send it back

3 Likes

I’ll be the voice of dissent, I say keep it!

1 Like

I would keep the new model and send the old one back! :wink:

4 Likes

Same

1 Like

I'm the 'get the good karma' type. inform them, and maybe you get lucky. swapping without them knowing would be stealing imho. You didn't buy it...
Sensei used to say 'if you find a money clip in the street... do you give the clip back or the money - or both?'

1 Like

I believe that USPS postal law says that you can legally keep any unsolicited package addressed to you, in response to scams several decades ago where someone would ship an unsolicited package to a stranger and then invoice them after a few weeks IIRC. If it came through the mail, you probably have the legal right to keep it. MORAL right, on the other hand... Chinese vendors on Amazon are doing this now, leaving recipients baffled about why they are in some cases are receiving piles of unsolicited packages (which the vendor is writing off to run up their Amazon sales rankings and pad reviews).

Could the manufacturer have decided that the 1st gen product had a defect and was prone to failing again, and retroactively shipped a 2nd gen replacement as proactive customer service?????

2 Likes

No defects or replacement situation for the previous generation. I am always on their forum so I am certain of that. It does appear the cam is being phased out for a newer model and they have run out of stock and that might be the reason they sent a newer model.

In this case, it appears they sent me two replacements for the same RMA but 3 months between the two. Case number is the same but all the previous logs for all the steps the case went through have been updated to July.

I am certain I will notify them of the error next week…. Just dragging it out a bit :slight_smile:

4 Likes