What the heck is (PENDING)? z-wave

Thought this would be easy. It is not. Starting over from scratch by trying to establish a good mesh network. From what I have read, it appears I have two Ghosts? Ack! Anyway, what does pending mean?

Also, I have 30 yale locks with S0 security waiting to get added. Should they be OFF while establishing the network? Hope to figure it all out. Might not be the right system for a 30 unit apartment. Old engineer just gave up on these nice door locks that had the green Assa zwave modules in them.

Hope to get the doors working so I can work on other cool sensors.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Same, I have a couple of “pendings” after the migration to C8. They have no neighbors too.

2 Likes

If they are tied to a legit device then try refreshing to see if you can get them to update.
Could also try sending commands from details page to see if it responds.

I'm a big Hubitat fan and love mine dearly but that's definitely not a use case I've seen before and strikes me as very ambitious, especially with a single hub, But if you get it working it would make one hell of a white paper!

5 Likes

It looks like "repair-wait-refresh" 3 or 4 times got them to OK status, but those two still don't have any neighbors and no "repair" button. Any ideas?

If they are getting to OK then the devices are alive and responding. Do they have routes listed? Do they have a linked device entry or is that box blank? They might be battery devices which cannot be repaired because they are asleep. I found some of my battery devices took up to 48hours or more to populate the routes and neighbors. It all came back eventually.

1 Like

These three are new Enbrighten 55256 Z-Wave Plus Smart Receptacles running firmware 5.51 and hardware is 255. Wired mains voltage wall outlets with one lower receptacle being able to switch on and off. Hoping these little guys would work as relays.

they randomly respond. might get one command to turn off then it goes dead.

I have two hallways, 15 doors on each. I might try to establish the second floor first. The only items needed would be 30 doors that are unfortunately Yale S0 security, 4 outlets as repeaters and one honeywell thermostat that operates the hallways.

Ground level would be 15 doors, 4 outlets, 2 monoxide detectors, 2 freeze leak detectors.

Anybody, feel free to stop me now. :slight_smile: I just assumed hubitat could handle a bunch of devices. I had no idea secure devices crippled your network.

Just reviewed the C8 hubitat and ordered one. 41 days into the C7 LOL! Going to pray that it works on the second floor. If that pans out, I will get another one for the first floor and use the C7 around the admin office.

Silly outlets are still dead. Tried everything. Hope you all had a good weekend.

honestly I would use a couple hubs for this.... one on each floor then use the hub mesh if needed. Mount the hubs in the middle of the hallways.

2 Likes

Will do! Thanks you!

1 Like

I have come to the conclusion that the C-7 hub has an anemic antenna and signal. Here is my crash cart, performing exclusions on all the Yale 500 series (S0) doors. Amazing how well it works with the outlets and doors when it has a good signal.

I'm going to win this battle and get into the rules soon! :slight_smile: Have a good week!

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not.

But I will say that many (especially older) Zwave perimeter security devices pair in "low power" mode. Not saying the Yale specifically do that - I don't know.

The ones that do that, do that to make it harder for someone to sniff the security key exchange. The obvious downside is that it makes it much harder to pair with the device "in place" or far from the hub.

I don't think any newer locks do that any more, as I think everyone decided that was a dumb idea.

4 Likes

She was pretty lame even with the outlets and a bulb. I only did a few million tests. Even found other users here that modify the board to use a real antenna instead of a gum wrapper. That will be a fun weekend project soon. :slight_smile:

yale assa used low power inclusion. (brilliant)... the outlets are full send.

Each to their own. I never modified the antenna on any of my 4 hubs. Worked fine with 100+ ZWave devices mesh.

Had some devices that repeated, which may have been direct with an external antenna I suppose.

Not arguing that a better antenna isn't a good thing though. It is. I'm just saying that if you have a decent mesh it isn't "necessary".

2 Likes

Same here. I had one C7 running both the zigbee and z-wave networks for a pretty large house. Strong mesh, didn't have issues.

However... there is a reason the C8 has external antennas!

2 Likes

No argument. Better signal management is, well, better. And an external antenna should have better signal management than a PCB or foil one.

1 Like

Yeah, it was very difficult to establish a mesh using the outlets in the hallway. Perhaps I just got a lemon. The advertisement claims 2600 feet. I understand that is line of sight. The C7 installed in my apartment building was in the middle of 56 meters, struggling with the outlets past 20m. The doors would pair just fine up close but would soon appear to be a ghost when they never reported back in. Routes were empty. Status was OK with no route. The outlets failed to act as a relay. As a test, I reset everything and and put it all close together. At least my c7 would be better suited for a small home or apartment.

Hopefully the C8 will do better and the modified c7 will be a lot of fun to fix.

1 Like