What Should I Do With a Second Raspberry PI?

Yes. Fortunately for me, this is a very rare occasion. But it has happened. And when it happens, I simply turn off on-demand activation, and turn off WireGuard.

1 Like

This.

1 Like

Oh I think I misread @sburke781ā€™s question.

Yeah if your wireguard tunnel is active (while away from home), and your home internet drops out, thatā€™s gonna be a problem.

Iā€™m trying to figure out what exactly the ā€œexclude private IPsā€ setting does, but Iā€™m not finding an actual explanation from googling it so far...

1 Like

No pressure, like I indicated, I'm not an active user yet, so no impact for me if I don't have an answer...

Hopefully your Internet isn't as temperamental as mine... :slight_smile:

1 Like

From my experience, it will not send non-routable IP traffic over the tunnel. For example, anything destined for 192.168.0.0/16 will not be sent over the tunnel.

2 Likes

You have nailed the most critical issue. The quality of my home internet had declined post-pandemic, with a lot more people working from home and streaming. My ISP just upgraded their infrastructure to cope with this increased demand.

2 Likes

Kind of sad in a way that IT infrastructure is being upgraded in response to a pandemic, but hey, that's the world we live in.... Admittedly that is what I am after as well, so I can't complain...

1 Like

Indeed. This pandemic has dramatically changed work habits. And some of it for the better. I used to have to travel once or twice a year to review proposals for funding agencies. I hated it because it was disruptive to my work. All that has shifted to being online now, which I think is great.

1 Like

I used to have to travel 5 times a week to the office, now 4 times a week... Still... There are worse things going on in the world atm...

1 Like

:+1: Sounds like thatā€™s not so helpful for using wireguard to remotely connect to LAN resources.

1 Like

Yup. So I don't use that, and list the networks that I don't want traffic routed to.

1 Like

It is feeling like this is moving beyond the more general discussion into a more specific discussion around Wireguard on a rpi. Maybe a separate thread would be more appropriate...

3 Likes

Sometimes your remote subnet is the same IP network as your local when that happens you lose the ability to access things "locally" at the remote location. I have that with a clients VPN and I specifically prevent local routing except for certain machines.

1 Like

Don't want to get hung up on the technicalities of a forum... and would prefer to "retire to the lounge"... so may setup another thread when I can for some of this discussion.... Happy for others to take the lead on this if they want... or continue the discussion here.... no drama either way...

4 Likes

Time, and the excitement of getting something to work can change my opinions.... :slight_smile:

Probably got a little carried away with trying to control the conversation with my last few posts, should just let things happen organically. I'm just as likely to drift off-topic myself.... Sorry if anyone felt put out by them, happy to see people discussing different ideas.

I have been able to get my second pi setup, running off a 256GB Samsung SSD (no SD Card), and with WireGuard up and running. Very happy!! Like @marktheknife I found WireGuard very quick and easy to setup.

Simon

3 Likes

Install home assistant but not for home automation, use mine for node red, WireGuard, and ad guard home (pi hole) the back up letā€™s you back them up and restore easy, they are all essentially 1 click add one and in the rare case a wifi devise has a h.a integration and not h.e, use h.a to h.e. I use it for my sense 8 bed cover

2 Likes

Another thing you can do is install "airplay" if you your PI is next to an amp...

You'd need some sort of DAC if you wanted to improve audio output.. something like this:

or maybe a usb audio card...

2 Likes

On my home assistant just for add one, thereā€™s an add on that turns all ur cheap chrome cast devices into airplay

3 Likes

Thats cool - I have a neighbor who has a bunch of those.. I setup an old rpi3 for him running shairport but maybe I should try that instead..

I assume you're referring to aircast? If so, it works well. You can even airplay to an Android enabled TV without having to go through an Apple TV.

2 Likes