What is the best way

To go about removing a Zwave device to upgrade the firmware and then include it back in. Especially when the device is in multiple rules? It seems like there should be a way to mark the device as being updated or something so the rules will just all pause and then when the device is reincluded just mark it as the one that replaced the old. Or can we do something like that and I'm just missing it?

The C-7 has an option to Replace.

However, upgrading the firmware does not always require an exclude/include cycle. It does depend on the manufacturer providing the firware that is able to be used by the built-in Device Firmware Updater app.

To Exclude a Device WITHOUT removing it from HE, and thus retaining the option to put it back, requires an independent Controller to perform the Exclude. It must NOT be a secondary to the Hubitat ZWave network. This is because secondaries inform the primary of includes and excludes.

So... use your ST hub, your Wink, Vera or HomeAssistant hub to perform the exclude. Your Hubitat hub will be unaware of the loss... Then perform the firmware upgrade.

When you're ready to include it back on Hubitat, the ZWave details page will have options:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.51.55 AM

You are looking for it to say Failed and offer a Replace Button.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.55.04 AM

Use the replace button, put your newly upgraded device into Include and the Hub should go through the Include process (S2 popup, for example) and when it's done, the device will be right back where it started from.

I have (successfully) Replaced devices on my C-7's but it has taken more than one swing sometimes... I simply am more stubborn than the device. :slight_smile:

The only way I know is to snapshot the app dependencies at the bottom of the device, and then when you do the firmware upgrade, you can locate all the apps and re-add them back.

There might be some devices that don't need to be excluded after the firmware update, but seems like all my devices exclude after the firmware update and need to be re-included again!

1 Like

These will be Zen30's that are paired S2 currently so to upgrade I'll need to exclude them unless we can do a firmware upgrade on an S2 device? Last I checked we couldn't do that. I think all the Zooz devices want a full reset when done with a firmware upgrade anyway.

Okay maybe I'll finally get brave enough to try this soon. Thanks for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.