What is C8 Pro SOC

First thanks @bravenel for disclosing that info. It does a few things. First and most important it means there as has been allot of incorrect speculation in the past as it was thought it was a S905X in the newer models. It also validates some of what I was saying above.

If we go to the amlogic website it is possible to validate a few of my previous statements.

1. The process node did drop from 28nm to 12nm with the new chip and we did get a ARM base design bump from Coretex A53 to the A55 variant.
  2. We can also see in the specs of those SOC's that there is potential for a good memory improvement. The older chip had a 16 bit bus and that at latest went up to a 32bit bus with up to DDR4 2666 memory.
  3. The new SOC also seems to include a 10/100/1000 Mac so the network layer did get improved at some level.
  4. There does seem to be a bump in the storage perspective but based on the little bit i can find online it shouldn't be to significant.

I suspect there is allot of unknown good things coming from this SOC improvement and the two marketing points do not do it justice.

9 Likes