What Have You Added to Your Setup Recently?

I am still learning too. :wink:

My most recent routines THAT work.
Adding contacts to the pantry door to kick on the light above it powered by a smart switch. At some point in the future, I may install an LED strip inside the pantry so we can see the rear of those dark shelves.
I noticed the first few times my wife encountered it, she looked up at the light coming on, then off at the close of the door. After that, she has said nothing, No comments = WAF high.

Duplicated the idea with the hall closet, along with replacing the hall light with a nice bright LED bulb and smart switch.

I have to keep things simple and go long time periods before introducing new (buggy) things, else the WAF drops like a rock.

Currently working on bathroom occupancy for different times of day (modes) and discovered what I believe to be a bug in the GE Zigbee Dimmer driver OR in Simple Rules. The dimmer does not seem to respond to a Set Level (on) command whereas a GE Zwave dimmer switch in the bedroom does.

So beyond the issues your focus is bathroom occupancy for lighting.... A common request, including those that look at humidity and temperature as well...

1 Like

Temperature/humidity adjustments to the ceiling fans at night are in the future.

This can be huge when females hit a certain point in life. If you can develop something that monitors hormone levels, then adjusts temperature and air circulation, you should be able to retire both rich and famous. Perhaps even revered.

2 Likes

One of the things I've started to do that has met with approval is turning on the exhaust fan for a brief period AFTER the bathroom lights turn off. For showers etc also test for humidity as well because you want the fan running as the humidity builds.

1 Like

Most recent addition was a pair of Ubiquiti switches, a 48 port and a 16 port. Both provide PoE to some devices in the house, plus networking of course.

No special Rules or such yet to directly control anything on them though. Not sure if I will even... But it is nice to think I can.

1 Like

Toying with @bptworld 's LIFX pattern controller.

I'm an 'indicator light' kind of guy and have long wanted some sort of HE light panel. The 8 zone LIFX strip is kinda much, but it might work.

2 Likes

I do not have any devices in the bathroom, my wife will not go along with any bathroom updates. She likes things the way they are. Where have I heard that before.
I am running the pump by time (wake up-lunch-dinner-bedtime) only at this point. I tried to use motion sensor zones to start the pump, but the problem there is that the pump needs to run for at least 5 minutes before the hot water gets circulated sufficiently. So if I get up from the couch and go to the bathroom (depending on the length of stay) the water doesn't have time to get hot. I am still thinking about this so I may come up with something eventually. The way I have it scheduled now is working somewhat. Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

That is probably the most efficient given the 5 minute delay for water to circulate.
As I don't have a circulation system - is that a normal time frame? We get hot water to back of the house in less time.

Last Fall I installed an AmbientWeather WS-5000; recently purchased the lightning detector and a couple soil moisture sensors. Set up a soil moisture sensor (with notifications on Hubitat Dashboard) to see if it will help keep the cast iron plant alive (one in a series of the supposedly indestructible plants that we always manage to kill by overwatering).

Using the AmbientWeather integration by @snell and LG Smart TV driver from @cybrmage I now have the TV display WebOS notification (message text box that pops up on the TV and dismisses itself after a few seconds) when it starts/stops raining or if there's a lightning strike nearby.

Last night we finally got the first thunderstorm since I set this up; it was fun be notified of the first lightning strike 17 miles away. Unfortunately after the first dozen lightning strikes the novelty began to wear off. We'll see how long it takes for that to drive me crazy enough to disable it...

While not fed into Hubitat, one of my newer additions in a software defined radio dongle, that I’m using to slurp up the signals from my gas and electric meter, so I can track my usage directly from the meters.

I also recently added a Zooz main water shut off value, although that’s slightly less interesting.

1 Like

Yep my wife does not like any "noticeable" devices in the bathrooms.. To her the motion sensors look like cameras or some other spying type device. She is also frustrated when the fans come on when she is taking a shower. She wants to feel in control of this for some reason :man_shrugging:

That's why I started having the fans come on AFTER the lights got turned off. It also works well if you have any children who probably could care less about fans or odors or humidity.

1 Like

@sburke781 Not added yet but purchased a few.... Waiting for @mike.maxwell to see if he can get them working (probably gonna be a while as I'm sure his plate is full) I think these could be a great replacement for the Dome's that no one can get ahold of anymore

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEO-Tuya-ZigBee-Smart-Home-Water-Leak-Sensor-Wireless-Flooding-Detector-Leakage-Detection-Alert-Level-Overflow-Alarm-Life-App-Remote-Control-Works-Wi/510243093?athbdg=L1700

1 Like

Perhaps you need to show her a few news stories about mould, like those we have seen after recent floods here in Aus...

3 Likes

I mean, comparatively speaking, you live in a land where everything is trying to kill you. I would expect mold to be at the bottom of the list :rofl:

7 Likes

You could set up counter and distance variables for a rule about it. If it is within x miles, 1st strike. None until it gets within 10... Pause again until 5... And shut up after that point because it is right nearby! Or maybe 1 more if it is 0 miles... So you know to check the yard or neighbors...

1 Like

I think I am lucky having a husband rather than a wife. Being a man he probably doesn't think it would be manly objecting to new tech in the home :smiley: Even though he does sometimes struggle using it. He's actually a software engineer by trade but he's not a gadgety type of person

1 Like

I think it's a personality thing... people who have the illusion of complete control over their lives might balk at having their partner/family member etc installing stuff they don't quite understand, feel comfortable with, or have the time/desire to get into and learn even if it makes their life easier.

In my case SAF comes down to is, "Does it work ?"

I know that the original post is for mainly home automation, but this is something tech that I would like to do but I don't know how. I have Unifi network equipment and an Asustor NAS. I would like to set up pi-hole on the NAS in a Docker Container and use it for my whole network but I don't know how. I have a VM setup using Ubuntu but from there I need HELP. This may be too big a job for my limited knowledge but I would like to at least try.

1 Like

Freshly installed battery "backup" (1,3kWh) for the whole rack (router, NAS, HE, Switch etc.). This backup is also using solar overproduction during the day and use it after sunset, with enough power to run 20+ hours on battery. Components used:
Shelly Uni - monitors battery voltage and works as a battery disconnect safety device in case voltage drops too low (controlling separate reley directly, using UNI inbuild ADC logic).
Shelly 1PM Plus controlling charger in combination with HE - once FVE starts to feed the grid, charging starts.
HE in combination with Solcast integration manage if next day solar production will be big enough and if yes, it starts discharging process after sunset.

2 Likes