What happened to "Motion and Mode Lighting App"

I am trying to do a new installation and "Motion and Mode Lighting App" seems to be missing. Is it possible to get this app somewhere?

1 Like

What version of platform firmware do you have? MMLA disappeared briefly, has reappeared.

Edit: seems like that was wishful thinking on my part. MMLA has always worked perfectly for me. Room Lighting seems like a work in progress.

3 Likes

This app has been replaced by Room Lighting.

Groups & Scenes has been brought back.

5 Likes

Hopefully they'll never do away with Simple Automation Rules. I'd really be screwed.

2 Likes

If a built-in app is already installed on a hub, it will continue to be available through updates.

1 Like

You're safe, as @aaiyar says - as long as you don't delete an app from your hub, it will persist through hub updates even after the app is retired.

There will be an issue if you want the app on another hub that doesn't have the app (you'd have to restore a backup from one hub that has it to the one that doesn't). However, since hub mesh allows you to share devices between hubs, you really don't need to have an app on all your hubs - if it's just on one of them you can use it for automations on devices across all your hubs. Noice.

1 Like

I much prefer the old motion lighting over the new room lighting app.

Room lighting just seems too complicated imo especially for new users.

3 Likes

Honestly, once you realize how it works, it's much simpler than motion lighting

6 Likes

I won't discount the "deer in the headlights" moments that can occur with RL, I certainly experienced those, but I think the idea is, for us more seasoned users, is to ride that wave of transition and help guide new users through that introduction of a new app (along with HE staff, they are not absolved of all responsibility...:slight_smile: ). Like I have mentionted in other topics, we should respectfully offer up our opinions on what we have lost and what it added to our HE experience, with the idea being to progress the path Hubitat have chosen to take. That said, we can backtrack if needed, as is evident in the re-instatement of Groups and Scenes.

2 Likes

It would be nice if they add stuff but they need to be more careful about removing apps. If installers are configuring Hubs and suddenly it changes than it slows installers down.

Just my thoughts.

3 Likes

Story of my life ....

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.