What do you guys use to alert you of a power outage

Could I use something like this to alert me if my homebridge server on my pi goes down?

I connected a USP Power Loss Sensor to the two terminals in an Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Door/Window contact sensor then setup a rule to tell me when the state changes. Of course my network equipment and Hubitat hub are on UPS.

Or there's this for a fraction of the price.

Wow, I should go into business selling a $1 wall wart and a $1 spdt relay for $42 and call it a UPS power loss detector. LOL.

2 Likes

My Freenas server connected to the UPS which everything else including HE is connected to sends me an email notification that UPS is on battery.

I’m still using this...

But now it’s on HE not smartthings

Cool stuff

Check out his thread. There are a few options in there that use the contact sensor as the reporting device. The last post is my current setup which has worked reliably and instantly for me since I set this up.

1 Like

Hi @Cobra,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, what you have created here is a great little thing and was wondering if you wrote any guides on how you created this and got it running with smart things\HE?

I am interested in doing similar as I have regular power cuts, I have a UPS running and would be good to be notified when the power goes out.

For the hardware, you can make something like I posted in the SmartThings forum or you can use a Ring Extender:

I use this with an app I created “Power Off Shutdown” which you can find on my website:
Https://cobra-apps.co.uk

Or you can use rule machine

I have signed up to your site, I am happy to make what you made as it looks a lot cheaper to make that than buy the ring extender, I also have a spare Zwave water leak sensor that I could probably use with it to help build it.

I was just wondering if you had a parts list and wiring diagram on the item you made on the smart things forum, I am quite handy with a soldering iron and probably just need to order the 5v relay, circuit board & charger.

I have a Ring Repeater that sends an alert to my hub if it senses a power outage. It works great!

2 Likes

I dont have any other ring equipment so puts me off buying it for that reason only.

ring extender v2 here too. Works great as long as you pair it S2 (C7 hub only), I have 6 of them.

I had a few weird issues when pairing non-S2 on my C4 hub - but they did seem to work there too. Overall.

I have 2 - one of them is connected to Ring and I get the power outage events via the Unofficial Ring Integration. Works great!

Hi all, I put some more thought into this last night and I plan to build the same device Cobra has posted as I all need is an audrino relay which is cost's @ £5 for 2 on amazon.

TeOhk 2 Pcs User-Friendly 1 Way Relay Module Fault-Tolerant Design high Low Level Relay Module for Arduino: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I am also going to buy the ring extender, currently I don't have any z-wave devices apart from 1 NEO Cool cam water sensor which isnt being used currently, the plan is to turn this into a second power outage sensor.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me more about the ring extender device, from what I am reading it is a Zwave extender, also how is it integrated into hubitat, can it be integrated on its own, I found a driver for it but the github link seems to be a dead link and the driver has been withdrawn.

[Withdrawn] Ring Alarm Range Extender 1st and 2nd Generation (Z-Wave Extender with Battery Backup) - Developers / Code Share - Hubitat

I do however have a C7 hub, just researching as much as I can before I pull the trigger and spend £30.

That's because it is now a mainline driver. I have one installed at my house and several at my client's. The only tricky part is getting the pairing mode to go into legacy instead of Smart Start..

Note: Pairing it with the default S2 security is recommended just make sure you remember the pin found on the back - if not you can simply unplug the device and have a look as it is battery operated and will hold the pairing.

2 Likes

Thanks good to know that its a standard driver now, I will get one ordered up.

1 Like

My ST hub is still plugged in since migrating to HE a couple of years ago, with no devices on it. One of (if not the only) benefits of cloud processing is that I get an SMS when the hub is offline. Not conclusive proof it's a power outage but close enough for my needs.

I also have my smart things hub still connected using hub connect as I have some Wi-Fi devices on smart things that are not supported on so I do get notification when the hub goes offline but that is not really reliable in some cases as it can trigger if MY Internet goes down, I have also seen the hub go offline and back online by its own so the cloud must not have been available.

And Finally I run all this stuff on a Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD UPS, I have x2 Gen8 Micro servers running a few virtual machines, a couple of raspberry pi's my cable modem, a switch and a firewalla gold a NAS And a few other devices all running on the UPS, current draw is around 200 Watts for all the devices plugged in sitting idle, under load its closer to 400W which is about 10 minutes time for everything to run on above UPS.

The thought behind this is to use both the ring extender and the water sensor to detect a power outage, then I can shut down most of the equipment that drains power which takes the draw down to like 50 - 60 Watts, left powered on is the cable modem, the firewalla gold router, a 24 port switch, a couple of raspberry pi's hubitat and smarting's, the plan is to eventually automate the shut down of these devices where I can too but due to this my hub wouldnt go offline which is why it makes the cloud notification not the most reliable in my use case

i use an innexpensive apc smt1500 smart ups for battery backup and power outage notification with monitoring using the apc9630 etc net card plugged in the back.. you can get the whole think for around 200 used on ebay with new batteries.. a little more pricy but then you get like 5 hours of battery backup as well as notifications.