What color temperature do you use?

For those with color temperature adjustable lights, what temperature(s) do you use and when? How do your lights transition? I’m curious as to what the community does. Currently, I use the Circadian Rhythm app to change the temperature every five minutes with a disable switch to have Hue colored scenes when the occasion calls for it. What are you doing with your lights?

Depends. My ceiling lights in the living room are 2700, kitchen is 3000, 2700 in the bedroom but the night stands use 2100

2 Likes

I'm similar to the above: it depends on room and time of day. In bedroom, living room, and dining spaces, I normally use 2700K. In the kitchen and bathroom, 4000K -- or some brighter rooms just don't turn on at all automatically during the day, not until the evening. Late in the evening, nearly everything switches to about 2250K at reduced brightness to remind me to wind down for bed.

At any time in any room, I have wall controls (and usually voice too) available to switch to something else if my mood or the task at hand is better suited for something else.

1 Like

I have all of my CT and RGBW lights imported into Apple Home and use Apple’s Adaptive Lighting to change the CT throughout the day. I like it better because in addition to following the circadian lighting of the sun the CT increases when the lights are turned up and decreases when they are dimmed. I am using the Homebridge-V2 app to accomplish this (for lights that are connected directly to Hubitat and aren’t connected to Apple Home via the Hue bridge) until @gopher.ny adds support for Adaptive Lighting in the Homekit app (hint hint).

1 Like

I'm a simpleton. 3000k throughout the house. Except the bathrooms and office. (4000k) I make adjustments with dimming. My house is very open. I don't like being able to see lights of different temps within the same room.

2 Likes

You must miss florescent lighting in an office cubical farm :rofl:

2700K everywhere but brightness depend on real light condition.

1 Like

Older and I find 6500 makes reading easier (better contrast). For entertaining, soft white. Of course, I am single, so.....

2 Likes

I’m guess I’m the oddball. I have no idea what the color temperature is set to on my bulbs.

I just use regular LED bulbs with different dim levels set per modes in some of the rooms.
Soft White 2700k - Living Room, Dining Room, Hallways, Bedrooms
Daylight (4000-500k) - Office, Laundry, Kitchen, Bathrooms, Garage
3000-3500K - Outdoor Lights, Basement

1 Like

5000K is my favorite. I guess my wife and I are strange, we aim for that in every room.

2 Likes

5000K in garage and laundry/utility rooms in basement.

2700K (or less) elsewhere in the house. It's just me & my wife (no kids), so we just use level to control brightness, and most rooms are kept relatively dim (we like a low-key vibe, I guess!). Except for the kitchen, we don't routinely use any of the ceiling fixtures, so most wall switches are prgrammed primarily to control room scenes (and secondarily to control ceiling load).

The bathroom is the one place our tastes differ - she likes it very warm and I prefer it cooler, so the motion activation defaults to her setting and I can get to mine using a switch action.

1 Like

I think that's interesting. What app are you referring to?

[Release] [App] Circadian Daylight (v0.80) (Port) is what I use to manage color temperature throughout the day.

1 Like

When I'm away, 4000K.

Early morning and later at night, 2300K,

During the day, 3000K

Also have button dimmers set to toggle between various settings in steps if what I want doesn't match my current mode. This is the rule for up. I have a similar for down on one of the controller's other buttons. (One of my sets of lights on this switch is limited to 4K, thus the needed added complexity for the activation steps)

1 Like

I try to get 3500k lights. I find 3000k too warm.

depends on the room. In my bedroom and and bathroom I have them start at 6500 in the morning and then decrease throughout the day. Helps me wake up in the morning and fall asleep at night.

In our main living space it changes in a more circadian pattern.

In a couple of bathrooms I have LED fixtures and can’t change the colortemp, so I have the bathroom can lights follow a circadian pattern in a narrower range.

1 Like

This is my simple daily circadian rhythm rule. Using Sengled RGBW bulbs.

1 Like

Mine is really simple, to give you blue light during the day and avoid being exposed to blue light in the evenings.

I do 5500k in the morning and throughout the day. The lights come on dimly in the morning.

At 5pm ish, the lights all turn to 1800k over a 10 second transition - it's noticeable.

Many CC/CT lamps can only reach down to 2200k but I'm using Innr which, going by their LED strips I have, use the RGB lights to achieve a greater range. I'd really recommend them.

1800k is a nice orange glow and we even get compliments on how cozy and welcoming the house feels in the evening.

1 Like

When not using colors, every bulb 2700k, never more than 50% brightness. Usually mor like 30% - 40% brightness on average. Yes we are cave dwellers.

1 Like