What brands of products do you recommend for motion sensors and switches

Help, I have just received my Hubitat, I would like you to help me in choosing the brands that have motion sensors and "Economic" switches or which ones are acceptable to buy, I am starting at Hubitat and I know that it does not accept all brands with the same I have some WIFI items.

Check out this link. List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

Yes, but I ask those who have already used certain specific brands and they can recommend certain brands from experience, I have looked for many but it is always good that some give their comments on certain specific brands

You'll get a lot of different answers, for motion I like the SmartThings motion sensors due to the price range and speed of Zigbee reporting. For switches, assuming your in the USA I like Inovelli for the price point, feature set, and support (their staff are very active on their community site finding out what their customers want and putting out firmware changes to provide).

2 Likes

My favorite motion sensor is the Iris 3326-L motion sensor. Very small, very fast, very reliable. The next gen IL07 is just a little bigger and adds humidity I think. You can find them on eBay.

3 Likes

Where are you located? Most of my switches/dimmers are Lutron Caseta, except for bathrooms/closets, which are Zooz.

Yes, I saw in this regard that inovelli is a very good brand, but in hubitat, can I use zygbee and z-wave devices at the same time?

Yes, though you need to have a good mesh for both zigbee and zwave then. If you have switches that are all z-wave, the z-wave mesh should be pretty good: there's switches all over the house.

The remaining task is to see that the zigbee mesh is good enough. This means having mains-powered zigbee devices (e.g., outlets) scattered around the house in addition to any battery-powered zigbee devices (e.g., motion sensors) that you have.

Could you explain a little more about this, what exactly do you mean by Good Mesh?

Do you mean that it divides equally between Zigbee and Z-wave, or at prudent distances so that they can connect to each other? ... or how would it be.

Zigbee and Z-Wave are separate protocols...they don't interact.

So if you have Zigbee and Z-Wave devices, you need a good Zigbee mesh and a good Z-Wave mesh.

For smaller devices (contact sensors, motion sensors) Zigbee is preferred by some as it can be easier on the batteries used to power those smaller devices.

I have both types, most of my Zigbee are motion and contact sensors, plus I have some Zigbee plugs around the house to provide mains powered support for my Zigbee mesh. My Z-Wave devices are primarily switches and one or two wall plugs (also powered, obviously) and they create a strong Z-Wave mesh that my lock, garage door opener, water valve, and two or three Z-Wave contact sensors connect to.

Take a look at this thread, similar info to what you're asking about that includes other options that work with HE and don't use either Zigbee or Z-Wave. :slight_smile: