What are you experiences with Sonoff motion sensors?

I need to find some new motion sensors. Zooz is just causing me frustration, and I'm not overly impressed with Bosch. What are you impressions of the sonoff sensors? Thanks

I have a few and no complaints (I'm even using one outside year round, slightly protected by a "birdhouse" I made for it with packing tape--figured they are cheap enough I won't care if one dies). Some people believe they have poor range, so a strong Zigbee network (not a bad idea regardless) may be necessary. Many people also think they're ugly. :slight_smile:

In terms of performance and features, they are fast to respond (unlike most Z-Wave sensors I've used) and only do motion (no temperature, etc.). Again not an issue for me. I won't put them everywhere because I'm not a huge fan of their look and sometimes it's nice to have more sensor types, but especially for the price it's hard to complain.

2 Likes

I am using 4 Sonoff motion sensors, with good results (2 hallways, 1 kitchen, 1 closet). Be aware that they lack features of, say, Hue motion sensors - no adjustment for sensitivity or timeout. Timeout is roughly 3 minutes, so if you were hoping to make a rule to turn off a light after 1 minute of no motion, then this is not your solution.

Take that for what it is worth, as I am rather fond of my Bosch sensors :slight_smile:

As @bertabcd1234 said, they are cheap enough.. Actually I don't think that 3 minute time out is going to be a problem, it is probably about right for the specific use I had in mind.

My issue with the Bosch sensors was that 1) the adjustment screw broke off of the one sensor 2) I could never seem to get them adjusted to where I had a decent balance of PIR and X-ray (not to mention a bit on the large side which will influence the WAF).. functionally (taking that imbalance into account ) they work fine. Right now I have one in my garage and it fires of the light as expected every time. I can say they are certainly rock solid in that regard.

I haven't had an issue with the Sonoff sensors. Not sure about the time out issue, I find they work great. Cheap, small and cheap, they have not failed me yet. They do lack other sensors but you do get what you pay for.

1 Like

They work great for me!

If there are problems it is most likely due to a weak Zigbee network. Just add a few Sonoff Zigbee plug/repeaters and everything should be fine.

The batteries are not the most common but mine have been lasting many months.

2 Likes

Certainly, Bosch is industrial-looking at best. The large size helped me to cover up an unpainted spot, where the previous owners of the house had a wired sensor.
Not that the Sonoff are winning any aesthetic awards, but at least they are small enough to hide.

1 Like

May I ask what batteries you are using? Make and number.
I had these but around 6 months to a year ago I started getting false motion detection so I got rid of them.
I still have 2 'spares' and tried one the other week in a cardboard box and still got false motion detection between 4 and 7 days.
It's not my zigbee mesh as the zigbee devices I replaced them with are working faultlessly.
Just wondering if it could be the make of batteries I was using was causing the issue.
Thanks.

Just these inexpensive ones from Amazon.

Seem to work OK.

Limited-time deal: LiCB 10 Pack CR2450 Battery 3V Lithium CR 2450

2 Likes

I have been using 2 sonoff motion sensors with no issues. Based on my experience over a month with no issues, I ordered more and just last week received a dozen more! I got from aliexpress to my Canada address. I am using one in my bathroom, and other in kids playroom to trigger lights.

They default driver worked great but then I also discovered the user driver which is giving few additional features, so I switched to that driver and things have been working fine - [RELEASE] Sonoff Zigbee Button, Motion/Temperature&Humidity/Contact Sensor Drivers - Developers / Code Share - Hubitat

1 Like

I have now bought these from various places and one by one they seem to develop the same problem. After a number of months (I am going to say 6 on average) they start cycling active / inactive randomly. They will do this a number of times in a row and then eventually stabilize to inactive. Let's say every 1/2 hours they start for 4/5/6 times in a row. This makes them pretty much unusable. Have thrown 3 away thus far!!

Did you try putting in a new battery even though the reported battery status seems OK (even > 50%)?

2 Likes

I've had mine running since Feb and no issues with funky triggering AND .I don't believe the battery report below at all as the powder room is frequently occupied.

Will keep an eye out but so far seems to be working well :crossed_fingers:. Also just added the FP1 there as well. With the 2 working in conjunction it really makes a difference with lighting control. No more extended timeouts needed or inadvertent switch-offs.

edit: so to quickly followup and admit my silliness - I did actually change the battery on 8/25 according to the events so the 100% figure is likely correct.

:man_facepalming: :roll_eyes: