Well this sucks (Logitech discontinues Harmony lineup)

I have the hub and Elite remote.

The Harmony software for Windows sucks, big time. Hard to believe that the Mac version is even worse. Can't say much for the mobile app either.

The Harmony hardware is/was pretty good though. Too bad they couldn't get their act together with the software side of things, but once the hardware is set up, it's reliable.

3 Likes

I hope a real competitor to Harmony becomes available.

HDMI CEC sucks in my experience, and there is no consumer/non-pro alternative to Harmony today.

A lot of people left in the lurch long term...

5 Likes

It is a shame that Logitech have stopped producing the hardware. But the existing and as yet unsold remotes should continue to work for a long time. They are still running mysqueezebox.com and they canned that range years ago. My guess (and obv. it is just a guess) is that by the time the remotes stop being supported we will probably have more polished alternatives. Maybe voice control that actually understands me most of the time! :smile: Maybe combined with camera based gesture control (I'm thinking facial recognition combined with xbox-like gesture recognition).

(although having seen this thread, I may have just bought a spare Harmony Companion so I can extend the lifetime of the one element of our smart home that my wife appreciates).

1 Like

I'll never prefer voice over a remote for things like volume adjustment and channel changes. On/off and input changes are probably workable via voice, but not volume and channel.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. The technology is not yet at a point to allow this to work consistently, and sometimes it is just easier to press a button.

Plus, often someone is napping on the couch when the other person wants to change channels or adjust volume. Voice control for Home Threaters does not make a lot of sense, IMHO. My Harmony Hubs have been working great for years. I am hopeful we'll get a few more years out of them.

5 Likes

My point is really that by definition I'm watching something, and don't want to talk over it / miss something because I'm talking. Regardless if it interprets my voice perfectly or not.

2 Likes

Completely agree. My mom has an 1100 which she absolutely loves, but I have long since been unable to program it. I actually bought a new model to see if it would be a solution. Said it was Mac compatible. What they didn't say is I had to go buy an old Mac on eBay to downgrade the OS far enough for their POS software to actually run. Couldn't actually keep the iOS software running for more than a few keystrokes before it died. Boxed the whole thing up and returned it with a not-very-kind review and told my mom never to buy any new AV components. She's in her 80s - we may make it! But when I saw that (maybe 18 months ago) I thought... these guys are not long for this world. And I was right.

I was super busy over the weekend when I saw a headline, and then forgot about it until now. So it's the whole kit and kaboodle - all remotes and the hub. Hopefully things will keep working for some time, family is fully trained up and likes the hub/small paired remote combo. I shudder to think about having to get them to learn a new system...

If you can even find a new system. I haven't looked in a few years, but real programmable remotes like the Harmony were nearly impossible to find. I don't know what I'd replace the Harmony with if it bit the dust.

3 Likes

I shudder thinking about ME learning a new system. May have to purchase a spare hub.

2 Likes

Agree on volume. The Xfinity remote works very well for voice channel changes and it responds to things other than straight channel requests. My kids use it fairly extensively even as I try to remember channel numbers.

1 Like

Has anyone found a viable alternative to Harmony yet? I have two Harmony Companion remotes that I love. But the local HE integration is finicky with my Netgear Orbi system it seems. Might be better to just find something different...if it exists....

I have been sort of passively looking for a migration path from my Harmony remotes, because they're not going to last forever.

SofaBaton caught my eye. They have a remote out now that seems established (on Amazon with 3000+ reviews) and looks like more of a typical universal remote -- focusing on consolidating single device control. It wouldn't really replace what I have now, because I use the Harmony activities that span multiple devices

SofaBaton has a new model on Kickstarter with a production schedule showing before the end of this year. And they exceeded their ask by about 50x, so I'm assuming the likelihood is good that it will proceed.

There's a little hub that goes with it which has IR and Bluetooth capabilities. I have an email request to their support team to figure out whether it executes locally or if there is a cloud dependency.

Has anybody here used any of their stuff before?

2 Likes

This response sounds promising:

The X1 remote control is used with Hub, and the device you want to control needs to be added through the APP. So it needs to be connected to the Internet at the beginning. After you have completed all the settings, there is no need to connect to the Internet again.

In addition, our X1 remote control will be compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa. If you want to use this function, the hub must be connected to the Internet.

2 Likes

So X1 connects locally to the Harmony Hub?

The Sofabaton X1 would be a complete replacement for the Logitech Harmony Hub, if they deliver on everything they have stated.

3 Likes

For me it's a two part issue, if, for any reason, the remote itself dies (950?), or whether my Elite Hub dies... The remote I could live with by using a combination of my phone and the expertly constructed drivers for Hubitat... :grin: If the hub dies then I need to look elsewhere...

If it requires a cloud account or does not have an open API then we are pretty much right back where we started.. :face_with_monocle:

otherwise it looks very interesting - thanks for mentioning it!

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The X1 FAQs on kickstarter give us the answer, I think:

I think that means we're good to go, right? We'll have to code it up, of course, but that's to be expected.

4 Likes