Weird issue - Bulb gets turned off by motion sensor

I have something very weird here:

I have a group "Bath" with two bulbs "Bath1" & "Bath2", controlled by an Iris Motion Sensor "Motion Bathroom" via a simple Motion Lighting rule. The rule turns the group on upon motion active, and off after a 4 min delay upon motion inactive. The bulbs currently are Eco Smarts, but I did observe the same situation with Sengleds on Generic Zigbee driver as well.

The problem is one of the bulbs (Bath1) will turn off 1 minute after Motion becomes inactive (but the 4 min delay has not expired yet). The group (Bath2 remaining) will turn off as planned - after 4 mins. If I turn the Group on via Device page, then both bulbs will remain on until I turn the group Off. So it would seem there is some correlation to the motion senor, or possibly the rule . . . .

I captured the debugs for the above - shown below. Any thoughts??

First of all, a screenshot of your logs are much easier to read than a copy/paste. Second, you can fiter the logs when you click on the device name at the top in order to get just the ones you are looking for. So, you are using Simple Lighting and not motion lighting? Can you show a copy of your Simple Lighting app? What tyhpe of motion sensor is this?

I c&p'd to be able to highlight the events and timing. "Normal" log posted below. You can only filter on one device and not multiples (or at least I could not find a way to do so . . .)

For the rest of your questions: Motion Lighting (rule below), and Iris motion sensors. Note in the Rule, "Bath" refers to the group, as described in OP.

Okay...what is happening is that you are turning the lights off manually and that is screwing the app up. You need to tell the app that you also turn them off manually by selecting the option "Switches to turn lights off" or something like that. You want to select the group Bath. I can see in the logs, the timeout started at 12:33:41

But then the lights were turned off only a minute later:

The timer to turn them off would still be running at this point.

That is exactly why i am posting about this behavior. If I was turning the bulb off manually, then there would be no reason to post the question, would there? . . .

Bottom line: No, I am not turning it off, but something is . . .

Did you originally have that light in the rule before you changed it to the group? Have you tried deleting and recreating the motion rule? Also at the bottom of the device page for bath1 where it tells you what it's in use with can you post a screen shot please?

1 Like

I would like you to tell me exactly how I am supposed to figure that out from the information that you have provided. You can see what rules are in place by looking at the edit device page for the light under 'In Use By". So, other than the motion sensor, you have no other means of controlling this bulb manually? No other rules controlling this bulb?

I believe I found the cause:

I have two Motion Lighting rules using the same sensor, and some of the same bulbs. I enabled debug logging on both. I had assumed that the "Options to Disable" shown below would prevent the rule from running - which is not the case. They both still run regardless of Mode or Switch status, and those options apply only to the actual turning on of the devices, and does NOT disable the rule from running.. So both rules would be triggered, and both delays (1 and 4 mins) would start, and after the 1 min delay of the 2nd rule, the "errant" bulb would be turned off.

My solution would be to move both into an RM rule.

Why? Why don't you tick the box "use settings per mode". That will probably give you the options you want. Motion lighting can do some really clever things. All of mine are per mode.

I personally do not care much for how Hubitat implemented Modes, and will most likely be burnt at the stake for that statement :slight_smile: . I do have my reasons though.

Having said that, I will nevertheless give your suggestion a try. It does fall within my own limited use case of Modes - Day and Evening - so worth a shot.

What specifically do you mean? Do you mean the app Mode Manager or do you mean modes in general? How would you change the way modes are implemented?

Perhaps more the Mode Manager. As I mentioned - it is just a personal opinion/like/dislike and I have no plans to post about it or request a feature change. It is what it is.

I migrated from Wink last year - which did not have much to offer in the lines of modes. For "rules" I made use of Stringify, and loved it - especially their GUI and the amount of tutorials and Videos available. Now sure, HE can do most of what Stringify could do. . .

Basically, I would prefer two "uncoupled" modes - one for Day/Eve, and another for Presence. For example, I want certain light to come on at various times when I am at home. Then I want to repeat that pattern when I am Away for an extended period (vacation), but would want a different pattern for when away for a short duration (coming home late from office, going to the shop, etc.)
In other words - HomeDay, HomeEve, AwayDayOption1, AwayEveOption1, AwayDayOption2, AwayEveOption2, etc . . . .

So for now I just use Day/Eve mode, and use Presence as a separate trigger in a rule. So my own "workaround" so to speak, and I can live with it.

You can have as many modes as you like. I use quite a few although, when we are all away I just want it to be away. I then have stuff happen at night when I'm away. But for "home modes" I have home, work at home, evening, night, quite time and night sleep. All depending on time of day and what we want the house to do. I then use this in motion manager to effectively have presence for my lights in the day and night for some places i.e corridors. Then other places I have presence in the day and absence at night i.e bedrooms all of this is decided through motion lighting. Different levels, Kelvin and colours aswell depending on the mode.