WebCoRE vs Rule (Anything change?)

so, I saw a thread that was made in 2018, Rule Machine vs Webcore that asked this same question.

It was a while ago, and not really all that active. So I felt that I would like to ask again.

Is there any advantage of using WebCoRE vs the HE RM? am I correct in saying that WebCoRE does not run local? or once you make a Piston does it get put onto me HE Hub and then runs local?

I feel as that WebCoRE is stable and that it will not be going away any time soon, so I Am not worried about that. But I would like to make sure that things run quickly and are not dependant on the internet (I do not mind making a piston over the web, but I want it saved on my hub)

I will admit that I got Decent at RM, but its just NOT PRETTY at all, and 100% is pretty much my single biggest complaint about my HE.

WebCoRE just seems to look better, and make more sence. so i'm tied. what do I use?

I use webcore but its on its own C4 hub with not much on it... Hubconnect for a few devices for the piston rules.

Edit: You can even run the dashboard locally. I have done this before and that would make webcore run 100% inside your intranet.

webCore pistons are stored on run on the hub, and from my experience they run fast with low overhead. Piston editing can be done using the cloud server or a local server on your network (several users using rPi's for this).

2 Likes

I've been running webCoRE for a year and a half and it has progressively gotten better and faster. I don't think its any faster or slower than RM both do well executing but webCoRE can do more in less time and is easier to maintain. Rule Machine's UI is the result of the groovy language. Unless they write a UI separate from groovy it will remain rather clunky. If you learn it from the start I think people do better but if you've ever written code in your life then its going to be a drudge.

Pistons run local. The only cloud portion is the UI for creating / editing / saving, etc. If you want to run the UI local there is that option too. I just loaded the webCoRE UI into my Raspberry Pi and have no problems with it. I also run Node Red for other types of procedures that aren't well suited for the Hubitat hub. I figured, what the heck, I have the raspberry may as well try the webCoRE UI local. I will continue to utilize the cloud UI for now but if needed I can switch over in a moments notice.

3 Likes

ok.. my concern that it was offline, I do not mind editing it over the net, I could install a server, but I do not see much reason for.

Would be awesome if someone made an interface that would get past the groovy thing. I get it, but man, I hate it. just cant picture, and if/then/else statements just do not look right.

Thanks for your input. really helps.. for now I will do a mix.