WebCore to Dashboard tile attributes

I would like to control the colour of a standard tile based on the code from a piston.
I want to see if my alarm system is Ready or not at a glance. The only generic way is to create another tile, which takes up too much space, and alter it's state; not very elegant.
From what I have read I don't think this is possible yet?

I came here hoping your question had been answered, because I have another, related one to ask:

Is it possible to create tiles in Dashboard that interact with WebCoRE directly (i.e. in such a way that WebCoRE handles the status of the tiles without needing to create Hub Variables or Virtual Devices for passing state information back and forth)?

For example, I'd like to have a Tile in DB that, when clicked, updates a boolean in a WebCoRE piston to TRUE or FALSE, and visually reflects that change on the DB.

Is that asking too much, perhaps?

At this time no and natively no. Dashboard is designed to interface with devices first, and variables second (up until very recently the only variable interface was a virtual device). Theoretically, one could create a tile that would call a webCoRE or RM endpoint to retrieve data to display, but I don’t recall seeing one yet.

2 Likes

At the risk of sounding like a developer.... Personally, I would see reflecting the status of something remote, regardless of where it sits, as a virtual device in HE provides a level of separation from the source system, which you can change over time.

Of course the creation of a custom tile requires a device or app as it’s source…

1 Like