WebCoRE - should I use it?

When I started to see all these cloud-based home automation toys,
I could not believe my eyes. Who came up with this "bright" idea to
stick the entire Internet infrastructure between switch and light
bulb in the same room?

Furthermore, I believe modern micro processors have enough power
for creating even hub less home automation, forget about all these clouds.

3 Likes

When I started to see all these cloud-based home automation toys,
I could not believe my eyes. Who came up with this "bright" idea to
stick the entire Internet infrastructure between switch and light
bulb in the same room?

Furthermore, I believe modern micro processors have enough power
for creating even hub less home automation, forget about all these clouds.

+1 on that.

20+ years ago tech delivered plenty of functionality for most of today's HA tasks, at least for me, and before web was even a thing (maybe just a little after Netscape era). Protocols have changed and many new things but 90% of today's automations worked just fine - just no cellular/voice integration yet...

http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm

2 houses ago this thing ran everything for me, including whole house infrared with a bunch of logic and automations integrated with X10 wireless and PLI. Loved it!

1 Like

...well not so much for the last few days.

My last Rule Machine automation running on SmartThings (a 'dead ST hub detector' which had RM flipping one of @coreystup 's handy Mira virtual Edge switches periodically activated by my C-3) finally expired on January 11th.

The Rule Machine 1.9 groovy app front end still appears to work in the ST app, but trying to save an existing rule or create a new one results in a 'No network connection' popup.

HubConnect on ST also gave up the ghost; on that same date my lone Z-Wave motion detector on ST (a Monoprice ZWP 15374 which would join but not indicate motion on HE when I tried it two years ago) is not producing events.

Both had a good run, but as the saying goes 'He's dead, Jim'.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.