WebCoRE - should I use it?

Neither. Stick with Milwaukee Tools.

:rofl:

7 Likes

I just hope support isn't stretched too thin.

I suspect that support for WebCoRE will primarily come from webCoRE developers - much as it does now.

Just as even though @djgutheinz' Kasa integration is now available as a built-in integration, Dave continues to remain the primary point of support.

3 Likes

You're right, it doesn't look very much like it did back then but I haven't seen it since then, so I have little to compare it to other than that. However, I assume (I'm guessing) that the ST version looked similar to the first version on Hubitat.

Rule Machine 1.9.0a/1.9.1.e.... still working on ST (as of this morning):

5 Likes

Learn something new everyday! Was not aware a key part of HE got its start on ST.

Indeed it did. And were it not for SmartThings blaming Rule for performance issues with that platform, @bravenel might have never got a group together to start Hubitat.

And I'd still be flipping light switches by hand.

Merry Christmas!

8 Likes

Some light reading for your Xmas holiday downtime, if you’re so inclined. Only about 4800 posts from start to finish!

@ogiewon shared this link in another recent thread about WebCoRE here. Some familiar names in that thread, but also a few I haven’t thought about in quite a while (anyone know what Tim Slagle ended up doing after he stopped working for ST?)!

1 Like

Rule Machine being pulled from ST directly provided the impetus to Addy to create CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine). Some people were p.o'd that I had pulled RM, hence the name. CoRE's success (and issues) led to webCoRE.

9 Likes

In the end, I think most of us are satisfied with the outcome of ST passing the buck on their platform issues by pointing at RM.

But come to think of it, I do kinda wish RM had been reborn as BoRE, just cause that would be a sweet acronym :rofl:.

3 Likes

ST blaming RM really wasn't the driver, but did provide some visible explanation. The driver for starting Hubitat was our belief that cloud based HA makes no sense, when it can be done locally. Why the heck should a motion sensor 5 feet from a light switch need the cloud to turn on the light? As we demonstrated from the very beginning, there is ample computing power in a small processor to run a hub for local HA processing. ST just chose the wrong small processor for their hub and after all, they did sell the company for a staggering amount of money on the promise of cloud based HA (even if that promise makes little sense in the real world).

12 Likes

Doesn’t make sense to the home user that wants their automations to work well.

But to a multinational mega-corporation like Samsung, i think there was, and still is, some motivation to keep people locked into their cloud for the data-mining opportunities at least. Probably other reasons too.

I find it hard to believe that Samsung really cares about data mining off ST users. But it's easy to see how they use ST as a feature of products that are marketed with a list of features -- where the list of features appeals to buyers (even if not used). A new Samsung TV works with Alexa, SmartThings, AirPlay, etc., etc.

I bought a high end Samsung TV a year or so ago, and made the mistake of creating a Samsung account (before I realized there was no point in doing so). I've never received any email that could be plausibly explained by having done that. I also had an ST registration with the same email address, and ditto, can't see that it's ever been used for an email campaign.

2 Likes

Oh boy. This is the first time ever that I am going to have to disagree with you. I do have a Milwaukee corded grinder, but everything else I have is deWalt :wink:

3 Likes

Amen, brother. While I appreciate all that RM has to offer, (imo) WC provides so much more flexibility and power. Less UI is, in the long run, better for power users.

3 Likes

He left ST to go work for Zoom. Good move at the time!

3 Likes

I never got into Webcore. I never understood the appeal of it as it is like writing code. I was already writing code in Groovy for a few Smart apps and frankly it seemed if i need to do that anyways why start working in a different ide with a differnt syntax. Anytime i found a need for some fringe use case i just wrote it in Groovy.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean there isn't a benefit, just that i didn't see it for my use case.

I played with Rule Engine and then Rule Machine when Bruce first released them on ST, but at the time I didn't have a strong need for either. I was using RM for one or two small things when Bruce pulled them from ST, and I kept using it until CoRE was mature enough to switch to. By then I actually had a few use cases that really could use the power of such a system. I kept using CoRE for a very long time, well after webCoRE became mature. I was thoroughly amazed at how polished the webCoRE interface was by the time I switched to it in 2018 (or so).

I switched over to it and at that point uninstalled RM and CoRE on ST. I was really happy with webCoRE. Except, I kept getting tripped up as some things were tricky to find (until you had lots of experience with it) - many of my questions at the time were "how do I select this thing in my piston". The import/export of pistons was a great feature that made it easy to share a working solution with someone.

But I kept hitting little things in webCoRE that were not completely implemented... and at the time seemed they would never get fixed (since at that point Ady had gone to work for SmartThings and had stopped working on it).

When I moved to Hubitat two years ago I considered installing webCoRE, but at the time I was still concerned about the lack of support. So I went back into Rule Machine. There was the same initial learning curve there ("how do I select this thing in my rule"). And the web UI of webCoRE was so outstanding that going back to RM seemed a step backwards. But RM was supported.

With this announcement I'll definitely at last install webCoRE on my C-7 and start to move some things into it, but I'll probably keep the majority of my (working) automation in RM.

Can't wait to try Webcore again. Nothing wrong with RM I have right now but who doesn't like new toy. Still have this damn Node Red to figure out as well.

3 Likes

Ditto

1 Like