WebCore command to backup WebCore pistons

Hi everyone,

I must confess I'm a "backup freak" ... I believe that there's no such thing as too much backups - for me, it's a case where "too much backups is not too much backups enough".

So, I like to have multiple ways of doing backups of the same thing. For example, I have a Mac where everything is backed up to iCloud and I also have a local backup using SSDs in my router - backup freak.

So, I regularly generate a backup of all my WebCore pistons (4 instances) and today I questioned myself - is there a way of doing it more efficiently? It would be nice if I could create a piston where I schedule regular pistons backups, obviously on top of the current HE backup - remember, "Too much backups ..." you get it.

So, I searched the topics here and I must confess I could't find any reference about any piston command that I could use - if it exists, please let me know.

I know that such option would be an overkill ... but "Too much backups ..." - backup freak I am.

So, it could be something like a command that creates a backup of the pistons to a HE local file so I could send it as an e-mail attachment to outside of HE.

Do I really need it? I can't ask myself this question, you know, freaks don't question themselves. But even freaks like me can ask: is there anybody else interested in this command? Do you think it would be a welcome and useful addition to WebCore?

Let the crowd speak!

@maffpt Hope you're backing up your hub too. As a note, local backups (which you can automate for download) do not back up the z-wave or zigbee radios. For that you need to get a hub protect description. That said, when you do a local HE backup I believe your pistons are backed up too.

Yes, I know the HE backup does a WebCore backup too, and I have Hub Protect for the 2 main hubs.

But freaks are freaks .... :crazy_face:

1 Like

I don't know of any automatic way but every time I make a piston change I do a backup and archive it. In my old job as a programmer we ran a program that automatically archived incremental differential changes. Restore was great as it allowed you to see every line of code that was changed and choose what to restore. A bit out of the WC realm.
Freaks

1 Like