Weather/Temp from online source

I made some small tweaks to this to suit my needs ā€¦ havent gotten them up on Git yet,

@mattw do you want these tweaks ? Pull Request?

so far just added

// Added by JHOKE to collect more info for Hubitat Dashboards
attribute "icon_url", "string"
attribute "icon", "string"
attribute "wind_dir", "string" 

and then

// Added by JHOKE for other needs - may add additional as I dig in more 
sendEvent(name: "icon_url", value: resp.data.current_observation.icon_url)
sendEvent(name: "icon", value: resp.data.current_observation.icon)
sendEvent(name: "wind_dir", value: resp.data.current_observation.wind_dir)

I am going to play around with tryign to get a tile to display an icon based on these values ā€¦

@JHoke
Thanks John
Iā€™ve added wind dir to my driver and the app Iā€™m working on

Andy

1 Like

Yeah - there is quite a bit of data returned ā€¦ need to play around to parse out the forecast output as well

Thinking of use cases
if $forecastString Contains ā€œSnowā€
then turn on heaters
If $forecastTemp < 40F
Then Turn off ExteriorWaterValves

etc etc

I will say when it comes to illuminance, i find that itā€™s a little buggy compared to Smarttthings. Not buggy as in it does not work, but maybe itā€™s just too accurate. Smartthings used some logic to create a ā€œfakeā€ illuminance based on weather, time of day and a couple other things (i Believe). I actually did not even know that until i moved over to HE, and wanted to add illiuminance into my routines.

It looks like Solar Radiation is just too accurate. As in sometimes when itā€™s light enough outside (1st couple of hours in the morning, or near the end of the evening), my routines based on illiminace fire when with ST they did not.

Itā€™s not horrible, and I am glad to have it as an option, it will just require more tweaking to figure it out.

I usually add time and mode restrictions to my apps
This helps with not firing at silly oā€™clock just because itā€™s summer and the sun rose at 4am :slight_smile:

I only use 4 modes: morning, afternoon, evening & night so itā€™s easier to do.

Andy

Bob
want to try this beta for me?

At the moment it just turns on/off a switch in response to a weather item and doesn't have my usual time/day/presence restrictions but I'll add them soon.
I'll look at adding additional actions later if required.

Andy

Did a little work on this driver (and my app posted above)

Cleaned up capitalisation/naming
Added ā€˜Wind Gustā€™

Added ability to select the following units (in addition to being able to select the temperature unit)

Pressure (mb or in)
Distance/Speed (mi or km)
Precipitation (in or mm)

Added the ability to disable the majority of the logging

I have also added extreme weather alerts (which I was unable to test as I canā€™t find any!)
It should work in theory :slight_smile:

I have updated Github with the new file

https://github.com/CobraVmax/Hubitat/tree/master/Drivers/Weather

Andy

Thatā€™s not a bad idea. I think thatā€™s beyond my programing abilities at this point (note the word ā€œhackā€) :slight_smile:

I set the poll on the custom driver to 1 hour so to not piss off the WU gods. I also forgot that I have to setup a separate RM Poll for the default WU driver.

I added in these capabilities to your driver:

capability "Temperature Measurement"
capability "Illuminance Measurement"
capability "Relative Humidity Measurement"

Without that I could not select those capabilities in my weather station for some other apps (HousePanel).

Thanks!

@Matthew

You might want to host it on github or similar so others,can use it ;
My developement of this driver is related to my Weather Switch app,so probably wonā€™t be much good for others (donā€™t really have time to maintain both)

Andy

Well ... I have never bothered to create my own GitHub until now ... so here you go....

Again, the only change is I added three capabilities to @Cobra's driver.

2 Likes

Not sure what has happened but I updated to your code and polling appears to have stopped.

EDIT: Reverted to old code, auto polling now working again.

I believe @Cobraā€™s changes stops the logging data from being shown (ā€œAdded the ability to disable the majority of the loggingā€) . Is that what you are referring to? If you look at the driver ā€˜Statesā€™ it does show the observation time and mine is updating at the requested interval.

With the old code, polling was done every 5 minutes and I could see Lux, SolarRadiation, Humidity etc. updating every 5 minutes.
When I loaded your code there was no polling every 5 minutes.
I filled in all the configurable fields. Polling was already populated with 5 so I left it alone.

I don't know what to say? It is working for me. Did you fill in the appropriate 'preferences' in the driver?

Yep. All filled in.
Will give it another try.

EDIT: Well I re-installed and now its working. Not sure what happened but as long as its working, thatā€™s all that matters.
I like the extra features by the way. Nice one.

Made a minor update to my version of the driver. For the three capabilities I added, I had to change to lower-case the attribute title (they were all in Title-Case). I added those capabilities so I could use them in HousePanel, but HousePanel did not pull in the values until I changed them to lower-case.

Just an update on the problem I saw yesterday when there was no polling.
It looks like it occasionally does not poll. It misses the 5 minute poll.
As you can see from the events for the device below, there was no poll at 1:55pm.

@bobbles
@Matthew

Guys
I've posted a new driver which includes all the correct attributes for use with dashboards if you want to try that
I have also added a 'Weather Summary' which I hope to use later in WS

Thanks @Cobra. I added in lowercase illuminance and humidity in my version. I need those in lowercase for Housepanel. No other changes. Great work!

UPDATE: @Cobra has incorporated my small change into his driver. No need for my version now. Please just use his. Thanks @Cobra!

1 Like