Water Shut-Off Valve

I'm looking to replace my current old gate valve with a new modern ball valve for my main water shut-off. I plan on setting it up so the water can be turned on/off remotely. What I'm trying to decide is whether it would be best to get a normal quarter turn shut-off valve and then a device to remotely turn the valve, or get a shut-off valve with z-wave/zigbee connectivity built in. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both routes, and I'm looking for the opinions of others who have tackled similar projects.

I've done both in the past, and both can work.

On my current house I put a dedicated in-line valve instead of the quarter turn. I like that because I had a few issues in the past with the quarter turn solutions as the mounting is finicky, and its reliability is very dependent on how hard the existing valve is to turn.

A new in-line valve is a lot harder/more invasive to install, though, obviously.

I currently use a HomeSeer HS-WV100 Zwave Plus model (rebranded Leak Gopher).

I'm going to need to replace the current valve either way since what's there now is an old/outdated gate valve. Right now I'm leaning towards installing a dedicated in-line valve like the one from WaterCorp.

In a word, BOTH.

Replace the gate valve with a modern ball valve. Gate valves are, IMO, the absolute worst kind of valve & are notorious for seizing unless you "exercise" them frequently. Ball valves do not, to the best of my knowledge, and from my own experience, suffer from this issue.

Once you have replaced the gate with a ball valve, then place something like Lowe's Iris valve in-line after the ball valve. Many people also build a contraption around the automated valve to act as a bypass, but personally I think this is overkill as one does have the ability to manually operate the Iris device manually in an emergency by removing the cover.

J

1 Like

I looked at WaterCop too because of price. But at this point I try to buy ZWave Plus whenever possible, so went the other route.

Although for a valve there aren't really any specific Zwave Plus features, other than increased range which may/may not be useful for you.

I also like the remote mounted control panel on the HomeSeer/Leak Gopher more, too. But I guess you could always get the WaterCop ZWave Outdoor if you wanted that, too.

Search the ST forums for ideas. There are many threads there with detailed pictures of what people have done.

J

Agree with @GatVlieg, do both, a regular modern ball valve is always good to have before anything else in case lets say you need to service the electronic one later...

+1 for the HomeSeer / Leak Gopher one, I looked at the WaterCop too but I keep my mesh Plus-Only and have never had Z-Wave issues (touch wood) so I decided to wait for a deal. Got one new on eBay for $70, great deal but I was lucky. They are very good quality and work well, if you use SharkBite fittings its quite easy to do...

I redid both of mine. New manual valve and new HomeSeer water valve. I bought the Watercop from Amazon. Turns out the Watercop was 5 years old that Amazon was selling. FYI There is an approved WaterCop Vender list that sells on Amazon. I sent that valve back to Amazon.

Here's another vote for a ball valve followed by an in-line motorized ball valve. I replaced my 15 year old gate valves in June.

Old gate valve set up (handles removed). Valve on left if main water shutoff. Valve on right is for outside spigots:

New ball valves and Leak Intel Z-Wave Shut Off valve:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.