Water Sensor - turning valve Recommendations

My one (right!) smarthome big buy today is likely going to be a water valve shutoff. I’d rather avoid the expense of bringing a plumber in to install an inline water shutoff, but my setup may need it.

What is the value/difference in a zooz zac36 over a Dome or other, keeping the minimum copper I have available to attach to in mind?

I don't think the Dome will work for you because of the short length of pipe. Here's my installation. The center of the Dome itself has to be directly above the valve. I can go measure if you'd like but just by looking I think you're SOL on Dome. Too bad, because it was easy to install and seems to work great.

Easy decision then to remove them for consideration. For some reason the pics on the website made it look smaller. Thx!

Lemme go snap a pic with a ruler.

1 Like

That looks very cramped. I would probably just shut off the water and move the valve to a more accessible location. Shark bite connectors are a breeze to use if you don’t have plumbing skills, just expensive.

the turn arm shutoff dont work that well if your shutoff is at all hard to turn.. recommend the following .. you can just leave the existing one in place..

I dont think anything that turns the valve will mount in that limited space.

i found one that may work but cannot confirm it is any good.

1 Like

I'd use something like this with a 9-24 DC power supply controlled by a smart plug and control it with rules. These are also available in brass and sizes up to 1" and deenergize after opening or closing.

I have the bulldog and it's been working well for the past 6 months.

2 Likes

I have a dome valve on one of my homes. If you have the room, it is easy to install and it works, but it's a little flakey with a valve that doesn't operate smoothly. There is an internal reed switch that indicates the end of travel and shuts off the valve. In my case, once the valve stopped turning, a slight amount of spring-back caused the reed switch to open and the motor surged. If you manually closed the valve the last 1/8" or so, the motor stopped surging. No amount of trying to free the valve or adjust the installation was able to correct the surge, I finally plugged the valve controller into a z-wave plug and added a routine to shut off the power when the valve was closed. It reconnects when power is restored in order to open, and it doesn't surge on opening, so it worked.

Bottom line, my next valve is going to be a motorized valve rather than one that clamps on the handle. You could even put it in line after the manual valve to avoid having to shut off your water at the curb during installation. Not too hard to do yourself, but in my book even worth the cost of a plumber for reliable operation considering what you may want it for.

In my case I had a frozen pipe which filled my basement. While insurance covered it, a huge pain. Now it's a rental house and this coupled with a couple of water sensors is worth the cost.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to get a new hot water heater in the next year or so, may just tackle this project then when the Plumber is here, and put an inline valve in. Thanks for the advice!

Sinope has a new one out as well. I like that it is both mains powered, but has a battery backup.,

Looks to be just Wi-Fi, So would need to integrate through an Wi-Fi hub? I saw the $480 price and I was thinking $$, but saw that included 20 sensors. There is also a stand-alone for $280ish..

Agree with the battery backup, but my guess is you would need battery backups on your hubs to also work with leak detectors?

They have two choices, the Wi-Fi Neviweb based units that require their hub, OR, the Zigbee based units (for HE) that are currently on sale for: $204/$225/$246 Cdn.

Yes, you would need a UPS for your Hubitat as well.

I have this one and has been great....if you have the space/configuration for it.

Continuation on this once since i was OP. About to have a plumber come out this week to replace my main shutoff valve in the house, need the city to turn off water from the street. Our meter is inside, and when they were trying to replace it the valve wouldn't turn off. So we have the main valve, and my pic above is a bit higher up. Figured i'd have the plumber fix this for me so i can put a leak shutoff device on it.

Anything else to consider besides from above? Anything new in the past 6+ months to think about? Would rather stay under $200 USD.

Anything new in the past 6+ months

I just ordered one of the Tuya Zigbee strap-on valve actuators mentioned here. Hasn't arrived yet.

Zooz Titan is burly -- unfortunately just missed the Memorial Day sale where they had it at $120, but it's a nice valve controller.

I have one now on my water heater, and I have another ready to go for later this year when I do the exact same project as you're doing now.

I think you're in the Twin Cities metro? If so, can you please PM me the plumber you end up using for this project (if you like their work, of course!)? I've got a guy in mind, but I'd be grateful to get some other possibilities handy too. Thanks!

1 Like