WATER LEAK?!?!?! No a slug

Last night I was awoken by alarm that there was a leak detected in basement. I raced downstairs to find a slug crawling across the top of one of these water sensors:

WTH?!?!??!!? I am not sure exactly how that happened but there was definitely no water on floor and the sensor probes are on the bottom of the unit. BIZARRE!!!

4 Likes

I guess slugs typically seek out damp environments.... So maybe it was nature providing you with a warning...

2 Likes

It's a sign, get ready for the big one.

2 Likes

Love it...now even the slugs are messing with us. Teach us a lesson for all the kids who went around pouring salt on snails and slugs...eww.

1 Like

Give's me an idea on conductivity tests for insects with my sensors in the basement. :thinking:

I just had the same sensor set off by an earthworm this time. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

One more time immediately go buy a lottery ticket!!

Is this on a concrete floor? If yes that is likely playing a factor given how much moisture is in concrete. I had similar issue with a leak sensor in my HVAC drip pan that all of a sudden started reporting wet. Solved it by putting a small piece of paper towel below the sensor. The paper town provides a barrier but will also absorb the water if there is a leak.

1 Like

I can solve this. Stop putting leak sensors in your rose garden. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

It happened again! This time it was a slug like 1st time. I am thinking some salt on the floor might be an option. I have 2 moisture sensors at this location about 3 feet apart for redundancy and it was a different model of moisture sensor than the 1st. This is not good for WAF. It's like The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

2 Likes

With me it was flushing of the hot water heater and calcium build up from the last flush in the pan that I have the sensor. The calcium held enough moisture when the humidity was high to trigger the leak sensor.

Did you try putting a small piece of paper towel below the sensor? Something absorbent that will separate the contacts from the floor should solve it.

I have 11 leak sensors in my condo.
I am always putting a largest possible piece of paper towel under each sensor.
This actually significantly increases sensitivity area in addition for surface-sensor isolation.

1 Like

I have also had a leak sensor near my basement back door triggered by a slug.

Maybe yall need to treat your leak sensors like a castle and have a moat of salt around them :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.