Water Heater Rule

Hello. Can someone help me please. I just want my water heater to work between 4:00 AM and 7:00 AM, if the temperature of water goes below 50ºC and turn off when it's higher than 60ºC, but can´t manage to make a rule that works.
Thanks

1st rule...

Required Expression if time between 4am-7am and temp sensor <50c

Action water heater on.

Conditional: If Temp Sensor >60
Turn off water heater.
End-If

That should do it..

Thank you very much!! And the trigger event?

Oooh sorry change required expression just to time

Trigger Temp sensor <50c

rest as written.

1 Like

There are many ways to write a rule to achieve the same result. Since I have no idea how often the water heater reports temperature changes if the hot water isn't currently being used, I'll offer a slightly different approach.

Trigger Events
Time is 4:00 AM

Actions to Run
Wait for Expression: water temp < 50 --> timeout: 3:00:00
IF (water temp >= 50) Exit Rule
On: water heater
Wait for Event: water temp > 60
Off: water heater

Notice that the first Wait is for Expression meaning it's looking at the state (current temp) of the water and not waiting for the water heater to report a temp change but will also respond to a water temperature change that's below 50. The second Wait is for Event since you already know the water heater is on and is waiting for a report. Also note the IF is a simple condition so there isn't an associate THEN or END-IF.

1 Like

I'm curious - does your water heater not have an adjustable thermostat? Because most water heaters do. And for most water heaters, all you'd need is a scheduled on/off (4AM/7AM).

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help and comments.
My water heater it's on the roof, I have a solar panel to heat water, and a resistence inside a water heater tank very convencional, I changed the very conventional thermostat, (it was a rotating knob with a thermo-relay) for a QUBINO 2 relay, that has optional a sensor you can connect to it. And I use this QUBINO as a domotic thermostat

1 Like

Sorry, I explained my self badly. I have a solar panel water heater, then connected to it an old water heater. Just to make clear all the components I have. So I use, mainly on winter, and at night hours (it's cheaper here), that in case water it's not heated enough by sun, a little help with a traditional water electric heater

1 Like

Very nice use of automation!

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

Could be worth employing a "hardware thermostat" for mechanical safety in the event that your automation system fails. Worse case scenario, the contact that powers the heating element (which will be a few kilowatt) would stay powered owing to a closed/bad contact and no amount of automation will protect against that.
Worth adding some kind of "excess temperature" warning notification (in case the above fault occurs) but that will be no use if you away from home.
Unlikely this may happen if you use adequately rated components but certainly worth baring in mind.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.