WARNING: Hubitat® Safety Monitor is not a security system

The Hubitat® Safety Monitor has this warning:
WARNING: Hubitat® Safety Monitor is not a security system, and should not be relied on as one. It can be used to monitor your smart devices and provide notifications about their states.

Has that always been there? If this is new, what prompted the change?

Currently running version: 2.3.2.136

Hubitat has always stressed this. Don’t know if it has always been an explicit warning in the app but given some threads about how people are sometimes using it as though it were a security system. IMHO it is a good idea that this warning has been explicitly stated.

6 Likes

It has always been in the documentation. For consistency, it was added to the HSM app setup.

3 Likes

Probably mainly because there is no failover like you'd expect in an actual security system. For example if your electricity goes, your hub won't be monitoring anything.

1 Like

As @aaiyar mentioned, the warning was added a few updates ago to align the content within the app to reflect its documentation.

4 Likes

But no worries :grimacing: in having it control and/or monitor your:

HVAC
fans
pumps
tank levels
heat lamps
irrigation
500lb gate
garage door
coffee pot
electric fence
gatling gun

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I really think this reflects what liability Hubitat wants to take on with the Implication that use may put on them if it was stated to be an alarm system.

What is an alarm systemi in it's simplest form when you think about it. It is a set of sensors that protect your property and notify you when something happens. When you dig a bit deaper though security systems are also hardened and validated to ensure reliability. They also include some kind of seconday communication to ensure reliable notification. That is something that Hubitat technically can't really do and provide the flexiability it does.

I think this is really about liability and setting proper expectations and ensuring proper risk assessment is done.

6 Likes

I mean it's not a big deal, I have it monitoring my child's iron lung and my grand mother's defibrillator... It's all good..Now off to do a new update!

10 Likes

And that's why we need auto-update! Roll all the dice at once!

6 Likes

Would like to learn more about this integration... is it a native HE driver or a community-supported app? If the latter, available in HPM?

6 Likes

It's just simply using an esp zigbee dry contact with a plunger mechanism... oops I've said too much... That's still in the beta forum and I'm under NDA

3 Likes

You are showing your age here. I don't think anyone has had one of those in forever. In fact there was a huge to-do about fixing some guy's iron lung and how they had to make the parts from scratch as the last iron lung was made in like 1960 or something and parts were unobtainable.

1 Like

Next release. They had to change the name and call it "Z-wave polling app".

It's a custom vintage artisanal iron king. My kid doesn't even need it but I bought it so I've kept him in there for the last few years

2 Likes

I think that CPS would be happy to talk to you for some reason. :grin:

1 Like

We really know how to take a topic in all sorts of directions....:joy::joy:

4 Likes

Well iron lungs and defibrillators are important to home automation. It is so lucky we can integrate these nowadays.

2 Likes

This has gone adrift...

Hubitat Elevation can be a handy way to monitor your smart devices, and HSM (Hubitat® Safety Monitor) does that. But, it is not a security system, which as mentioned above, has other characteristics as well as monitoring capabilities.

5 Likes