Want to start music playing when I come home

This is becoming a thing for me that isn't that important, but I'm obsessive, happy to learn and tinker, and I'm determined.

I have Harmony Hub integrated to HE, can create a rule to fire up a bluetooth speaker or a Chromecast device. Problem comes with pushing something to play at it. I have Google home, but obviously can't tell that to play something from HE. Question is, is there something I can use HE to tell to start playing something?

I don't mind buying something, within reason, that can run Spotify or Google Music and launch a playlist. I don't want to buy a Sonos or something as I already have decent speakers. I've done some searches but I'm new and get lost with the acronyms. For example, someone says TTS... and right now all I think of is a fast little Audi*.

Any help or direction pushing appreciated!

*Just FYI, I googled it and all I saw was fast little Audis.

Maybe this is where using something like IFTTT could come in handy—since the music is all cloud-dependent anyways?

I don’t think there’s any access to anything but adding to playlists that way. It’s probably going to have to come from a device. It doesn’t have to be cloud based.

I’ve got all kinds of stuff here but it’s all locked down. Apple TV, PlayStation, XBox, Macs, Google Home devices,

I guess I could pick a music channel on the TV and set the hub to go to that, but that’ll drive the wife nuts as it would happen every time she turned on the TV. I could probably do it through my computer, but it would need to permanently be left on BlueTooth or playing through Chromecast.

It’s a fun little pickle.

I have my Sonos devices play the radio when we get home.
Is that the sort of thing your after?
If so I can share if you wish.

It is. I can’t justify Sonos cost but would love to know.

I have a virtual switch called BBC radio.
This can be turned on via a google request. "Hey Google, turn on BBC radio" or via a RM rule when we get home.
The rule is defined that if a virtual presence switch turns on and the front door closes and it is between certain hours of the day, turn on BBC radio switch.
When the switch turns on a RM rule runs as shown below.
In the play section I have input in the url of the BBC radio station I want to play.
The only problem I had was turning it off and the way I got round it was putting in a url that is incorrect if the radio switch is turned off. This has the effect of turning it off as it cannot play anything. Not clean but it works.
I configured this 18 months ago and haven't revisited as it works and that's all I care about.
I'm not sure if this gives you ideas for a work round for you or not.

2 Likes

Holly crap, you and use web URLs to play music on Sonos?

While I love the Sonos integration with HE, I've struggled with these types of rules given the spotify/soundcloud URI mess and they seem to change over time.

This is mind blowing, any tips on what kinds of URL/formats Play Track supports?

The radio station link I play is this so I assume you mean .m3u8.

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8

I haven't tried anything else TBH as turning the radio on when we come home from town/shopping/gym etc. is all I want to do.
I believe others do more but this is fine for us.

2 Likes

That's a great approach - I just have to figure out a device I can get to play the link. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

BTW in answer to your other question TTS is Text To Speech :+1:.

Also if you can't justify SONOS but you want the system, then IKEA do there own version with SONOS built in :+1: much cheaper they have a lamp speaker and a bookshelf one.

1 Like

Why? You can’t leave your house.

Funny enough, I can. I open the front door, get in a car. I have a job that is incredibly unique. It involves driving to no particular destination unless its pretty and I can get good light, not interacting with people at all, then coming home and sitting in front of a computer for hours on end.

1 Like

That could be the answer. $100 on a speaker I'll never actually use though. I'll file that as a solution if I can't find a cheaper one.

(Currently haves many things hooked to things and speakers, just upgraded the sound system, bought the hub, a bunch of replacement bulbs, sensors etc etc... been muttering into my laptop a lot setting things up and learning how to do so... if I introduce another speaker just to do that, the wife will look at me funny.)

I've integrated Node Red into Hubitat, and now the music follows me around the house. When I walk into the kitchen, the motion detector senses me and turns on the Kitchen Sonos and the right level. Same with TV room (except if TV is on). Same the Sonos Move, and same with Master Bedroom

I have switches on the NodeRed dash to stop the auto joining.

I have a rule that if it's playing before i leave it pauses it and stores in the rule that is was on. Then when we come back home it turns it back on :slight_smile:

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Unnecessary argument

Yes Indeed.
I have Radio Ibiza (all music) automatically play when I arrive home
Set Track: x-rincon-mp3radio://http://strm112.1.fm:80/ibizachill_mobile_mp3