Wall switch for towel warmer

Hi all,

I have a permanent tower warmer mounted on the wall in my bathroom. You operate it by turning on a wall switch. I'd like to automate it to turn on when motion is detected or based on time of day.
I figure i would need a wall switch that is designed for more amperage than the typical light bulb switch.

i need an on-off zwave switch, and if i guess i would probably pick a wall switch that can handle 15amp so I get a bit of headroom. Currently i have just a regular mechanical wall switch mounted i in a single gang box. There is nothing special, just on and off.

Any ideas?

A normal light switch should be fine. It would be great if you could get the wattage off the towel warmer. I am guessing it is not all that high.

I looked online for wattage on warmers but could not find anyone listing it (i was hoping to find what is typical).
I guess i can hook up my amp meter on it.

https://byjasco.com/ge-branded-enbrighten-z-wave-in-wall-white-smart-switch-with-quickfittm-and-simplewiretm

Switch is rated for 1800 watts resistive load. I have been using with a towel warmer for at least a year, works great. BTW, towel warmers have less of a load then you might think. Typically 150-250 watts on 120 VAC.

I would like to see a towel warmer that draws anywhere near 15 amps. LOL.

1 Like

I have a couple of those switches at home i could use. I looked on amazon but couldn't find a rating. 1,800 watt resistive is plenty for my needs.

I have no idea what the towel rack consumes, it was installed before i moved in. But i wanted to make sure i don't overload the switch if those warmers are big power consumers. If its 120watt then that is nothing. are they typically that low in power consumption?

I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4UC38M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great. It is 150 watts.

Gets hot enough to burn yourself, if you are not careful.

Since they are fairly low power, I have mine turn on at 3:00am, which is enough time to get the towel toasty for morning showers. The Rule shuts off the towel warmer a little while after we leave the house.

I replaced the wall switch with a zooz switch. Worked well.
Put on a simple automation rule for warm towel in the morning, and off at 10 am.
Wife was happy with the warm towel -success :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just saw this post, I've had my towel warmer running on a GE switch without issue for about a year. Not sure what time you shower, but I keep mine on for about 3 hours after the last shower, that seems to give the towels plenty of time to dry.

I do about 2 hours and that seems to work well. I think the warm towel coming out of the shower is the hit in the family. My towel rack gets warm so slowly that the timer is essential.

1 Like

Any recommendations for whether you like yours, and what model it is? There are lots of mixed reviews for all towel warmers on Amazon.

Amba HSO-20 20-1/2-Inch x 18-Inch Straight Towel Warmer, Oil Rubbed Bronze https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A3WYCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NYnOFbWD5JEZV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That’s the one I have. Works great. We’ve been very happy with it. Their bigger models get very pricy though.

1 Like