Wall Mountable POE Tablet for Dashboards?

So if you really want to go maker crazy.. RPi + touch screen.

7" screens would be cheaper and you could also use your PI for other fun stuff.

You can also use something called FullPageOS - it's boots to a fullscreen chrome browser and thats it - no desktop.

I've used FPOS and it works really well for kiosks etc.

$125 just for the screen?!? Might as well just get a 10" tablet at that point. You're not saving anything.

Absolutely - it's just that with the RPi you can run a bunch of other stuff behind the scenes which is nice. The 7" screens are a lot cheaper of course. With FPOS you could livestream cameras in a browser tab etc.

Otherwise I too want a good cheap tablet that has some way to run in "Kiosk" mode. Note: if you go into developer mode on an android (and kindle fire) you can set an option for screen on when connected to power.

Amazon has 7" fires on sale for $35 today.

and 8" for $50

And you could get an PoE injector to power it.

Presuming that anyone playing with HE would be comfortable enough flashing firmware, you can put a naked android version on a Kindle and get rid of all the Amazon bloat.

There are plenty of cheap ($35-$45) wall mounts for them on Amazon. Can't say that they look as slick as some of the more expensive ones ($200 for an iWall iPad dock?!?!? https://www.iwalldock.com/collections/iwalldock-products/products/iwalldock-simplidock-for-ipad), but you can be all in with a new tablet for less than the cost of a dock.

1 Like

Just checked on XDA Flashing firmware for the 2018 8" model involves shorting a test pin in the back. No big deal but maybe a little trickier than some would like.. still good price and I just ordered one (8" HD with special offers) to play around with..

Thank you for the heads up!!

I think this may be a newer method for the 8" 8th Gen. Don't think it involves opening the case. But I definitely need to do a more careful read. (Just bought one also.)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-root-hd82018-via-magisk-t3906554

For the 7" 7th Gen, I'm not sure what they mean by "you MAY need to".
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/unlock-fire-t3899860

Don't know if the Fires will run Wall Panel or KioskBrowser without being rooted / hacked / whatever, but if they do, then none of this would matter at all!

1 Like

Yeah I was looking at this one:

So depending on what you really want to do, the whole rooting thing isn't really a big deal at all.

I followed these directions, and did the PC script. Took less than 15 minutes to get the Google Play store installed. For my needs, I didn't need to do any more than that (yet).

I installed the the Fully Kiosk Browser & App Lock (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ozerov.fully) and its exactly what I was hoping for. Full screen HE Dashboard on a dirt cheap tablet.

Glad I got the 8" for myself, but if those 7" dropped down to $35 again (or less) I'd buy a couple and create more specific dashboards for each location and just let them run.

Now I need to find a mount that looks nice enough for the WAF and doesn't cost 3x the price of the tablet.

2 Likes

I just got mine and will try and root, will let you know. What ROM did you use? If it works I may buy a few more for giggles. Ah never mind you said "root" - got it. I wanted to replace the ROM.

That looks great btw!

I may tackle the rom and root next because I like to do those things, especially to Locked down devices like an Amazon tablet or Samsung phone. But for what I wanted to do with the dashboards, I didn't need to hack it last night.

But for anywho who was following the thread, i figured I'd share the outcome even without rooting.

Now I'm torn on whether a 7" would be too small. May need to order one to find out.

Can you prevent automatic firmware updates? You could potentially lose root I think.

In the script, there was an option to turn off the OTA updates from Amazon.

1 Like

Wanted to report back was successfully able to root the device and install TWRP with these instructions:

Did not need to "short" the test pins or anything. Don't have a ROM yet but imagine one will crop up on XDA at some point.

1 Like

Double confirmed. Took me a few tries. Missed a direction here, typo there, but went smoothly.

Time to go ROM shopping. And maybe order another one of these just for fun. Still not sure I need more than the Fully Kiosk app out of the Play Store, though. Hmmmmm... Maybe save the money and put it towards a nice wall mount.

1 Like

I bought 2 more just to have before they shut down the vulnerability. It was cheap enough. That Fully Kiosk worked well except this morning had a bit of a refresh issue after I turned the screen off last night. Not sure if it was FK or the locked down dashboard. It was not responsive until I swiped right and tapped on "go to startup page..". Also the tablet still has ads on the lock screen so now need to get rid of those too..

1 Like

Here's what you do to remove the ads.. worked for me.

(it did ask for root privileges)

Here is my "test" setup in our bedroom - didn't get too fancy with the DB may eventually switch to HousePanel.. Another thought would be to take the back off and fasten it to a wall then pop the unit in again. Should act as a good holder. Also if really serious you could get those right angle micro usb plugs and fish it inside your wall with minimal side cord exposure.

1 Like

The "Velcro" command strips work great for mounting the tablets on the wall, we have a Fire HD 10 mounted with two pairs:

I have two tablets and one of them has ads but should be a non issue if you set up fully kiosk settings correctly. If you get the plus license, you can set up a screensaver and turn the brightness to zero. I have the kiosk screensaver set to 120 seconds. I have motion turned on for front camera. After 120 seconds, it goes to a blank screen saver and comes back on Showing the dashboard screen when motion in front of it detected. No ads pop up. Now I also have been having the refresh issue which I would love to know the cause. Sometimes I have to refresh the dashboard as it will still show some of my lights on that I turned off from another tablet or at the switch.

If you go to the Konnected website and look under products, there is a member selling through then that makes 3D printed wall mounts for the fire tablet for about $30. They are pretty good but some don’t like the finish from the 3D printing process but I think they look and work great. I did have to Dremel the inside edge a little to get my 90 degree cable to fit so the tablet was perfectly centered.

1 Like