Walk-in Closet with 2 Entry Points

More recently I've been seeing them closer to $20 ($19.99). A little cheaper used when you can find them. Do you have a secret source? :slight_smile:

But well worth it, IMHO.

The good news on the closet is that my wife hasn't used/needed light switches once I had motion lighting set up in my her closet (and make no mistake, the walk-in closet is ALL hers :wink: ). Enter/lights on, exit/lights off after 3 min (to give her time to change her mind after she's exited the closet and go back in). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love my Zigbee motion sensors. Hue are my favorite. That said, you may need one or two Zigbee repeaters if you have trouble keeping them connected. Try them out in their intended locations. Just setup a dashboard and watch them for a couple days. If you don’t have any other Zigbee devices, you might just need to increase the Zigbee radio power until they are reliable.

1 Like

I am so hoping my husband adapts to automation like your wife. He is adamant that everything still needs to be at least turned off manually. With the motion sensors, he probably doesn't have the chance to turn them on himself; but he really is just one of those people that turns off the light in a room immediately upon leaving. I'm terrible at it so automation actually works well for me lol.

1 Like

Awesome! Just cheap Sonoff Dongles should be fine? Though, I'll probably be a bit more strategic and use Zigbee lightbulbs or plugs.

That’s how my wife was and still claims to be, but she hasn’t touched a switch in a long time. She just needs to know that she can if she wants to.

1 Like

It honestly probably forces me to do the automations more seamlessly. I just don't want to hear it when something doesn't work right. Which is going to happen a lot in the beginning...

2 Likes

They’re more than fine. On the C-8 they are the absolute best routers in my house. Way better than any plugs or bulbs. As long as you don’t mind flashing the firmware. For a readymade solution, Aeotec has a Repeater Zi with 9dbm output on Amazon.

1 Like

All that :joy:

Thanks again for all your help! I think I'm going to go with the Zen77s + Regular 3-way switches for most of my 3-way setups, 2x Zen72s for the living room (allows dim control at both locations), and 72s for single pole installations. If later I decide that I REALLY need the dimmer at both locations for some of those 3 ways, I'll then switch out that regular rocker with the Zen34. I think this is the most cost effective way for me to do this and leaves options for later.

I'm really somewhat concerned that the electrician will get confused with all the installation instructions, but he better do them right lol.

1 Like

I feel you, and true. :slight_smile:

FWIW: Over time I have found that involving my wife in the automation planning has reduced her "WTF" moments and increased her interest in actually helping me troubleshooting issues.

I initally tended to leave her out of the details as she doesn't really care much about tech in general, so I was surprised to find the positive impact of involving her. A lesson learned for me in that area w/my spouse, YMMV of course!. :wink:

2 Likes

I have not read the entire thread - stopped at around comment 25. Here is my 2cents:

1. Use an mmwave presence sensor instead of a motion sensor.
  2. Do NOT use wifi switches - they will be a real pain if you switch routers, etc and you will wish you had paid the extra, whatever that is.

In regards to which mmwave presence sensor, and which wall switch:

1. Inovelli has zigbee switch with integral presence sensor coming out in a few months. I would wait and use that one because then you won't ever need to replace batteries. This will become a big deal if you get too many battery powered devices. Have your electrician tell you which of the two closet switches is master, and which is the slave. You will want your presence sensor at the switch on the left near the door to the living room. If that switch is not the main one, you might need two Inovelli switches - I'm not versed on exactly how that works. Every Inovelli switch I have works perfectly.

2. Zooz has a zwave switch with motion sensor coming out this fall. The drawback is motion is not as good for your application as presence. The advantage is the Zooz product will likely be far more affordable than the Inovelli products.

3. I only have one of the GE/Jasco/Enbrighten switches - mine is the UltraPro version. The challenge with these things is they don't publish the specs, so they don't work with all lights/bulbs/setups. My switch will dim to about 80% then starts strobing. Not very happy with it.

If you can swing it, you cannot go wrong with the Inovelli, and select the Zigbee version.

If you just can't afford the Inovelli, wait until the next Zooz sale - they usually have a blowout sale at Black Friday, and buy all your switches then - many will be half price. In the meantime, make use of this forum and Zooz tech support to determine the EXACT switch you need for each location. Then as soon as the sale starts you can order all of them.

Darn it. The problem is I can’t wait until Black Friday because the electrician is coming in the next coming week or so. I barely got the Zooz order in :confused: Can you recommend any presence sensors that are just battery operated? Also, just in general, for what application is an mmWave presence sensor better than a motion sensor?

The presence sensor will sense as long as someone is in the room breathing. The motion sensor may not pick up when you are sitting at your vanity doing makeup and not moving for x minutes.

With the motion sensor you will need to define the longest you will sit at the vanity with minimal movement and set the Hubitat automation to leave the light on for that duration + about 1 minute. So let's say that is 10 minutes. You set the automation to turn the lights off after 11 minutes of no motion. So when you leave the vanity thereby creating a new motion event, the light will stay on for another 11 mintues.

With the mmwave sensor, it will only stay on for whatever time after last presence you set it.

Here are two threads about various mmwave sensors:

1 Like

These mmwave sensors probably use too much power to be battery operated. They’re also still maturing and no stock drivers exist. A contract sensor at your vanity is probably the easiest option right now.

1 Like

Would a motion sensor beneath the vanity desk work? Or are fidgety knees and feet still “too” minute of a movement to be recognized by them? To be fair, when doing hair and even makeup, there is a lot of arm movement. I guess I’m just not sure how BIG the movement has to be for a motion sensor to recognize them.

I do agree some sort of “button” (basically anything intentional) is the way to go.

I would think that one directly above would help. Rocking back and forth a little bit should be enough to trip the sensor as long as it’s right above you (not in front or behind you). Moving across its field of vision is what it’s most sensitive to.

1 Like

Perfect! I was thinking of putting one on the ceiling around that area anyway. I don’t think one motion sensor would be enough because the wardrobes against the East and West Walls are pretty tall. And speaking of height, what is the optimum height to place motion sensors?

I put most of mine on the ceiling or in a corner where the ceiling meets the wall. Our ceilings are 8 feet high. Get some command strips so you can experiment with placement without tearing up the walls. I have a motion sensor on the ceiling above the doorway into the closet. That way it trips as soon as you enter the doorway.

In a perfect world you would use an mmwave sensor in the ceiling. Also, not behind an opened door. There are line level mmwave sensors. I have two. Also, all mmwave sensors need non battery power. None are only battery power.

1 Like

Once it's reliably turning on/off he'll start complaining when it isn't automated. My wife wasn't interested in smart home stuff at all. Now 5 years in she's explaining how she wants things to work and complains when they don't. And, she'd still claim she doesn't care about smart home stuff. :wink: When your automatons make life easier, people adapt to them. And walking into a room with arms full of stuff and the lights magically come on, is an easy win.

3 Likes