VPN causing presence issues

I have a VPN set up on my router so that I can connect to my home network while I'm away. I don't use it often, but when I do it causes all sorts of chaos with my presence in Hubitat.
For example:
Yesterday I went out at 8am. My Hubitat went into away mode as planned. While out I turned on my vpn did a few things turned off the vpn and went back home. Hubitat couldn't detect my presence entering the geofence so my arrival rule didn't work. I had turned my wifi off to test something while I was gone. Once I turned my wifi back on hubitat recognized my presence and set my arrival rules in motion.

Later that day:
I went out turned on my vpn. Turned off my vpn went back home. This time I didn't turn my wifi off. Again no arrival rule. I didn't notice until just now that hubitat didn't see my iphone as being present. I opened the hubitat app and all of a sudden it recognized my presence and started my arrival rules.

Any thoughts?

What are you using for Presence? The HE mobile app?

yes the hubitat app is what i'm using for presence

And what are you using for a VPN solution? When you VPN into your home router while you are away from home, launch a map app and see where it places you on the map. If it is at home, instead of where you are supposed to be, your phone is using the wifi location as your location rather than GPS.

I have a ubiquity edge router. I'm using that to create the VPN.

I've turned off the wifi networking and bluetooth in the location service which if I'm not mistaken turns off the wifi location services and strictly uses gps. They've been off for several months

Have you ever looked at a map when you are VPN'd to see what your location is? Because the HE mobile app uses your phone's location to send a signal when you enter or leave the geofence. That's all. It doesn't report your location to HE or your hub.

This wouldn't matter if you weren't connected to wifi ever.

Then your phone couldn't detect it either. The Hubitat app only updates when your phone updates location. So, again, this is normal if your phone's location service is "sleeping".

I suspect you aren't actually having a problem but instead you are just seeing normal Geolocation delays. You are not getting any false arrival signals, correct? When you VPN it is not detecting you as being at-home?

1 Like

What OS is your phone? I use Open VPN to connect when away and it hasn't caused any issues on iOS.

I am guessing that this is causing your issue. I am betting your phone is somehow determining your location by IP address, and when you VPN to your home, the traffic is flowing through your router and back out its WAN port to geo-locate you.

Phones really don't like using the real GPS module, especially since it is basically worthless if you're inside a building.

iPhone XS

Blockquote

But with it turned off wouldn't it just rely on the gps? I'll try turning it on and testing and see if that helps resolve the issue. I think I had the same issue before I turned it off but I use it so infrequently I can't remember

I use iOS 13 on my iPhone 7. I run OpenVPN on my ASUS Router. I never have any issues with my Hubitat presence sensor when I connect via VPN to my home.

Are you getting false reports of you being at home when you aren't? Or are you just experiencing delays in your arrival being detected when you arrive home?

I guess delays in arrival but both of those delays ended by me doing something so I'm not sure I'd call them delays.

You will need more than just GPS for location accuracy. You will need GPS, wifi and cellular. Turn them all on and do your test.

My apologies...I thought your issue was that you were getting false reports of you arriving home. Your location will only update as fast as the phone does. So, delays in reporting your location are unrelated to the app itself but usually due to your GPS being "asleep".

Are you running the latest Beta App?

Sorry for the delay in updates. Just tested and here’s what happened. I turned on the wifi location setting as I mentioned above. left the house turned on my vpn. Looked at the map I was indeed where it says I was. Turned off the vpn went home. There was a delay, I think when I joined the wifi it started my arrival rule. Which is better than it has been but it seems that it’s still ignoring my geofence when the vpn is turned on while I’m not home

Before you joined your Wifi at home, did you open your map app to update your location? Your phones GPS is not on constantly unless it is actively being used. If it was, you'd get about an hour of use out of the thing before the battery died. So, the GPS only wakes up occasionally to update your location. So, a delay when you arrive home is expected. One of the times that it will update your location is when you join a wifi network. Next time you leave the house, do the same thing but when you get home, don't join the wifi, just open your map app first. I am willing to bet that your arriving home routine runs as soon as you do.

Thanks I’ll check it out tonight