VLC Thing / Big Talker working but chopping phrases

Hi Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time posting. For the first time, search hasn't turned up a solution so figured I'd ask.

I've got VLC setup and running on a Raspberry Pi, and integrated with Hubitat along with VLC Thing and Big Talker. All I'm really looking for is door open / close notification at this point, nothing fancy. It's working... sort of. It seems to be catching the events, and the mp3 files are generated and sent to the VLC web instance, but the files seem like they're not getting created correctly.

As an example, if I'm expecting it to send "Front Door is Open", the speaker will say "Front D" or sometimes get as far as "Front Door is O". If I just try to do some "Talk Now" testing, ("It is %date% at %Time%" or "%weather%") it will always quit talking partway through.

I'm not getting any errors anywhere along the line in any log I can find. If I log into the VLC web interface on the Pi, I can see the MP3s in the queue, and they're incomplete. It's almost like VLC is stopping the data stream from VLCThing / BigTalker / HE as soon as it starts playing.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck. I've removed and reinstalled Big Talker and VLCThing several times, torn down and rebuilt the Pi / VLCweb piece, and rebooted everything more times than I care to think about. If there's a better way to do what I want, or more info is needed, just let me know!

Thanks a ton!

--Mike

I had that problem, updated to the latest version of raspbian and fixed the issue for me.

I'm on the July 2019 full build, do you remember what build you're on?

What are you using on the Pi to play the TTS? VLC? Are you using the mini audio output or a speaker HAT or something similar?

I've got VLC running with its HTTP server enabled, and audio goes out through the mini-audio to a speaker. VLC is the only thing running on the Pi, so I don't think I'm running into any port conflicts or anything like that.

I only asked because a long time ago I tried to get this to work with a Pi Zero and a speakerHAT (to have a cheap little speaker) and ran into all kinds of trouble with audio being cut off. But if you're using the mini output, that wouldn't have the problems I had to fix. Sorry!

@Ryan780 No worries!

September 2019 full build.

4 Likes

@JBrown Just reloaded it again to Sept 2019 and it works perfectly! Thank you!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.