VLAN switch

Every once in awhile there's a delay on a device operation

What kind of device? Zigbee? Z-Wave? LAN? Cloud?

And what kind of operation?

In general, the W/LAN bandwidth used by IoT devices is negligible. And this is why @ogiewon indicated that separating your IoT devices into their our VLAN is rarely worth the hassle.

3 Likes

Wi-Fi is going to be the bottle neck not the hard wired network. Even with cctv and other lan based stuff, WiFi is where the choke point is. Optimize that and leave your network flat. Leave the guest network for guests that visit your home to isolate them from your stuff.

3 Likes

Although to be fair, even 802.11b WiFi is not a bottleneck for IoT devices like LIFX bulbs ...... the amount of traffic is so little .....

3 Likes

Fair enough...The biggest issue I see with a lot of iot devices is combined ssid's. They can be a pain. Separate them.

3 Likes

How do you separate them ?

That's one concern, I believe the other potential concern is if you have IoT devices on your main network they could mess w/your personal devices, network, etc.

Ok, so here's what I came up with. I'll use two routers. My main router (192.168.1.1) and add a second router connected to the main router. The second router (192.168.2.1). This would give me two separate networks. I'll keep all my smart home devices on the main router (1.1). So I won't have to move all my smart home devices and move my other equipment to the second router (2.1).

This will create a situation called double-NATing, which comes with unique problems of its own.

TBH, I’m in the dark as to why you’re going down this road, but hopefully it makes your home network function well.

1 Like

I guess that idea is out. I just figured less congestion on the network. Keeping all the smart home devices together by themselves would run faster and smoother.

Which devices are not responding well? Perhaps addressing that will help determine the best strategy to fix the situation.

Are they WiFi or LAN devices?

Both. Sometimes yolink motions and zwave motions delay going on. Tonight my zwave deck lights failed to go on. Their both controlled thru my C7 hub. Wait, my WiFi devices seem to be ok.
Sometimes Alexa routines and voice command fail.

This is a cloud integration. While it’s possible that issues on your LAN cause delays in the YoLink hub’s cloud connectivity, such delays are far more likely to occur once packets have left your LAN and are being routed on the internet.

Zwave devices are LAN independent. These delays point to inadequacies in the zwave mesh, or possibly, a corrupted database.

I was told when a backup from the hub is created and saved it's cleaned. So if I make a backup, do a soft reset then restore the backup it should be free of any corruption, correct?

You can skip the soft reset part, make a backup and save locally, then immediately restore it. The restore does the soft reset automatically. Just did this on both my hubs last week and it fixed the memory leak on one of them.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow and hopefully it works :crossed_fingers:. Thanks to everyone for the help :+1:

1 Like

Also post your z-wave details page in it's entirety for us to look at...

1 Like

How do I find this device?

What @rlithgow1 said.

1 Like

Its not attached to a "device" in your device list on your hub, or the name would be in that blank box. So it is probably something you force removed from the device list. Probably safe to click that remove button there and get rid of it.