Virtual Three-way Switch?

Does a virtual three pole/position switch exist?

If not, could I emulate one with a button controller or another feature?

Technically, a three way switch is just a switch. What are you trying to do?

I’m thinking about a device that can be assigned one of three values.

Does it need to be a device? Would a variable work in your situation?

1 Like

I was thinking a string variable could work but doesn't limit the options and isn't terribly elegant.

More elegant than the other thought I had. A virtual button with three buttons, then RM logic to ensure only one of the is on, and them others off.

1 Like

I have an app I use to control 3 lights with 1 Samsung button. The way it is set up I press the button once to toggle the first light, I double press the button quickly to toggle the second light and I double press the button slower to toggle the third light. The slower second press actually toggles both the first light (which was turned on by the first press) and the third light. I'm pretty happy with the way it works.

You may want to take a look at this thread.

1 Like

LOL, that is the definition of a s-show. I can only imagine trying to explain this to my wife and kids.

1 Like

Yeah, the third light doesn't get manually controlled much. It definitely wouldn't work if my wife needed to use it. But it does work well for when I need it.

I think I just realized that what Hubitat is missing is a picklist device type.

i.e. a virtual device of n length with each entry user definable.

I’m not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve, but I have an Inovelli Red Dimmer (Z-wave +, and they are about to release their Blue, Zigbee series) switch that I use with Hubitat such that 1 push turns on the ceiling fan light, a double push turns on a 2nd light instead (via a smart plug) and a triple push turns them both on.

I also use Rule Machine to set up a toggle situation. I use this for a hutch I have with an upper and lower light. The toggle rule is pretty straightforward such that if the light is on, turn it off otherwise (it must be off), turn it on. By doing such a rule for the1 Push (on) and 1 Held (off) I toggle the upper light on by pushing the the switch “on” (up or top push) and toggle the lower light by pushing the lower part of the switch (what would typically be “off”). I’m doing this with smart plugs and an Inovelli Red dimmer. Since the switch can do multiple taps, a double tap up turns them both on and a double tap down turns them both off. The switch that does this is only attached to a line, neutral and ground.

I also do a “virtual” 3 way by using Hubitat to turn lights on or off by two switches. 1 switch is connected to the light and I created a rule to turn the light and first switch on or off by a 2nd switch.

Hope this gives you some ideas about how to achieve what you want to do.

If you could provide more details about what exactly are you trying to accomplish, I am sure there is a solution that is suitable for your family members to use, already.

1 Like

I was envisioning controlling HVAC mode via a three pole switch: Heat-Off-AC.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a way to change the HVAC mode via Alexa utterance.

Ah...so you mean a three position switch...when you said three-way I immediately jumped to household lighting.

Either way...as with most things, there's several ways to skin this cat. I do something similar with Google. I have three virtual switches...one for each "thing" I want to do...exposed to Google Home. They're all set to auto-off after 500 ms. From there, you can just write rules for doing stuff when the switch is turned on. Expose the switches to Alexa, make a custom routine for each one, and you're done.

1 Like

What about a dimmer? Then automate off the value of the dimmer. You’d have 0-100 to work with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.