Virtual Keypads

I'm working on building Raspberry Pi touchscreen controllers to mount to the walls around the house. The "Spousal Acceptance Factor" decreased this past weekend when I was gone, and he set the HSM alarm off twice, and then had to remember to pull out his phone to disarm it, etc. At least initially, these touch panels will be (mostly) for arming and disarming the HSM as we enter/leave.

I'm using Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreens housed in 75 mm VESA mount kits, connected to a 12v CCTV centralized power supply mounted in the basement. I bought Pi HAT boards that accept 12v power directly, and 12v to 5v step down converters..... We'll see which one works better. (I'll take pics, etc and create a post when I'm done).

Anyway..... This implementation would be a LOT easier if there was a Virtual Keypad Dashboard Object that I could drop into a dashboard. Ideally, this would tie into the Lock Code Manager for authentication.

Without this, I'm going to need to use the Maker API to push HSM status changes to a Middleware server, use the same server to maintain authentication PINs, and push changes back to the Hubitat Elevation. While a cool project that I'm sure I'll have fun with ..... It's going to take way more work to do that, than if I could just create a Dashboard with a Virtual Keypad.

So, I'd really like to see that option as a template in the Dashboards...... What does everyone else think?

1 Like

Neat idea and a lot more ambitious that what I just setup. One of the vendors I've bought from in the past had a Thanksgiving 80% off deal on some 4-inch 320x480 touch screen displays. Price after the discount (not including shipping) was $8.99 each. So having three of model 3 Raspberry Pi boards, it seemed like a good idea to grab 3 of the displays even though I'd never seen one before. I got them in and tested them with no problems. I wanted a way to use at least one of them rather than just sitting in a box in the storage room as a lot of tech I've not had the time to test and implement ends up. So here's what I came up with to go on my nightstand:

I have a sensor in my bed that automatically arms HSM-Home so it's handy being able to see the status of that sensor. There's also a motion sensor limited to the floor area that acts as a secondary to disable HSM so I wasn't completely reliant on the bed contact before the RPi. The HSM status has been covered with a text tile that's 100% opaque so that I don't accidentally touch it and bring up the minuscule (unusable) menu. Since these are resistive touch, it's very difficult to hit the extremely tiny "X" to close the menu. Of course the bottom buttons are another way to activate and deactivate/cancel. I'm planning on trying to put together a nice (well... nicer than plastic) wood box to contain the RPi.

The HSM tile itself has a pin number on it. So, after clicking on it, you are presented with the different options. once you click on one, the pin is brought up.

Wouldn't this be a lot easier? You can have a pin for the dashboard, one for mode changes and one for HSM changes.

1 Like

I thought about that, but, I really would rather different users have different PINs. For example, when the girl that cleans our house comes in, she would use her own PIN which would kick off different automations (for example, brining up her to do list on our family dashboard). I would also like to be able to track who arrives when, etc.

How do I get this keypad to appear. My HSM tile just pops directly up the arm, disarm, etc options without any security options

Click on one of the options....then you will be asked for the Pin number.

Not for me. I can change at will.

Did you enable the option in the Dashboard's app and click "done"?

That was it! I was looking all over the HSM app, trying to make a new virtual device, adding my keypad as a tile, and a bunch of other ideas and never thought to click on the dashboard app to look!

Looks like I can only give it 1 pin number and not pins for each user - am I right about that?

That is correct.

Why not just buy a security keypad. That does all the things you are asking for out of the box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iris-White-Security-Alarm-Keypad-Model-IL021/372642419625?epid=23028908187&hash=item56c33813a9:g:TzIAAOSwcNFcohWO