Virtual Devices For Real devices resource consumption?

Even before the "Swap Device in apps" feature was out, I was having to swap old devices with new ones often. It became a chore to redo all the rules, or worse, the Alexa configurations, so I started doing something: I created a virtual device for every new real device, linked it with mirror me, and put all automations onto the virtual device. Even after the new swap feature, many of my devices are created by an app (like tasmota) or are children (home assistant integration), meaning I still use this technique.

My 1st question - is this detrimental to the hub or performance? In all, I saw ALL of my mirror me rules consume at max 1% of busy, but I'm wondering if there's something deeper.

2nd, I have been unable to do this for almost all dimmer switches (but bulbs are perfectly fine). What happens is that, when I change the brightness, the switch keeps on flickering between the brightness I set & one or two higher, resulting in a headache-inducing flickering of the light between two very close brightness levels. Is there an explanation for why this occurs in both zigbee, home assistant connected (tuya), and tasmota wall switches, but not lightbulbs?

No

Likely the bulbs you are using on the dimmer switches are at fault here and not the dimmers themselves.

What brand are they?

I have used many different brands of bulbs - phillips, feit, ge. I can tell its not the bulbs because

1. The original switch (in software) shows that it keeps oscillating between 2 brightness values

2- Removing the mirror me rules fixes the problem for all types of bulbs

Is there a way to fix this?

1 Like

Where are you observing this? Logs? Device Settings Page?

If you remove the switch from being mirrored, does it still oscillate in the logs? (turn on all logging for that switch)

It does not oscillate in the logs when I remove the mirror, I noticed this phenomenon in both the logs & the device settings page,

Can you clarify if this is the built-in Mirror app, or a community based app. I think by the name it is the community app, in which case you should post in that thread, or tag the author of that app here.

No, this is the built in app.

You will want to post screenshots of logs that show this happening and list the specific brand and model of switch and brand and model of bulb. I would turn on Text logs for the bulb and switch before gathering logs. Also, it might be a good idea to post the gear menu for the problematic Mirror child app.

Once you do that, we can tag staff to look at this.

I'll do that tonight. But I have some clarifications:

It's happening with every manufacturer/model of light switch, whether it be zigbee or wifi

It is NOT happening with any brand of smart light bulb, whether it be zigbee or wifi

1 Like

Sorry, thought it was both.

In that case show the switch and (virtual device?) that are having issues.

I solved it by using this app, which is faster & has a no-activity period built in (solved another issue my plugs had where they would get into an on/off loop with themselves).